Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jerome Esbelin

Jerome From France !
« on: 18/06/2022 at 17:50 »
Hi,
My name is Jerome, I'm 46 and I "fish the fly" for 15 years now.
I join you to have some informations because in 1 month I will be in Sotland with wife and daughters for 10 days ... and I want to travel with my rod !
I love flyfihing for graylings in rivers and I'm sure that I will cross some nice rivers during my trip ...
I'm President of an assoiation ( fishing and protection ) here in France :
https://aappmahautesioule.wixsite.com/aappmahautesioule/sioule
We manage and protect a beautyfull and famous river, La Sioule, over 32 kilometers
During the past, I was secretary of a competition club and referee for several national competitions in river.
I have had the chance to go and learn fishing with a lot of french champions and some international too ( UK Team included )
I said "to get some informations" but I hope to meet some of you on the bank of a beautyfull river to share ....
Best Regards

Mike Barrio

Re: Jerome From France !
« Reply #1 on: 18/06/2022 at 21:49 »
Hi Jerome

Welcome to the forum  :z16

Cheers
Mike

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 18/06/2022 at 22:18 »
Where in Scotland are you visiting Jerome?

Jerome Esbelin

« Reply #3 on: 21/06/2022 at 07:47 »
Thanks !

I'll  take time to give you some details this evening

Best regards

Jerome Esbelin

« Reply #4 on: 21/06/2022 at 20:37 »
07-09 : Edimburgh
07-10 : Edimburgh
07-11 :  Edimburgh - Inverness ( River Nairn on the way to Inverness ? )
07-12 :  Inverness - Drumnadrochit ( River Enrick ? )
07-13 : Drumnadrochit - Corry ( River Broadford ? )
07-14 : Corry - Roybridge ( River Roy ? )
07-15 : Roybridge ( River Spean ? )
07-16 :  Roybridge - Glasgow ( which river on the way to Glasgow ? )
07-17 :  Glasgow
07-18 : Glasgow -Edimburgh

I want to fish rivers, for grayling and trout ( no salmon or seatrout, because I never practice and I don't have the gear for that ... and it seems to be expensive too to get a goodbeat no ? )

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 22/06/2022 at 11:23 »
So, I'm based just outside inverness but only really fish the lochs for trout I'm afraid so cant really advise on rivers.

The Nairn I know well but its only really for seat trout and salmon and is very dependent on water as its a 'spate river'.

If your at Drumnadrochit then your best bet is to fish for trout where burns ( scottish streams ! ) enter the loch - there are a few round where you are staying. Should give you some sport

Roybridge - once again its probably mainly loch fishing.

If your heading to Glasgow the river clyde has trout and grayling - i cant advise but a few people on the forum fish it and in the upper reaches it has very good trout and grayling ( there are no grayling in Scottish rivers anywhere north of the Tay / Tummel)

Sorry i cant be more help but I'm not a 'river man'

Jerome Esbelin

« Reply #6 on: 25/06/2022 at 21:08 »
Thanks for this first indications ...
About fishing brown troutn Lochs ... I must have a boat or that's possible from the bank ?

Jerome Esbelin

« Reply #7 on: 10/07/2022 at 19:26 »
I am in Edimburgh today but the river is too far from my stay ( water of leith, free fishing ! )
Tomorrow I will be in Inverness
I have tried to contact Inverness angling club to get information but it’s hard to know … I am ready to go fishing everywhere, even small and dirty streams in city center !
About Drumnadrochit … someone can tell more about … which stream and where to buy ticket ?
Thanks for your help !

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 10/07/2022 at 19:30 »
Jerome
Go into J Graham & Co, tackle shop in Inverness. They will point you in the right direction

:z18

Jim

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 11/07/2022 at 19:59 »
If your in drumnadrochit, drive to Fort Augustus and just a couple of miles down the other side of the road is loch tarff. No boats but hardfighting trout (and arctic char).

Jerome Esbelin

« Reply #10 on: 11/07/2022 at 21:59 »
If your in drumnadrochit, drive to Fort Augustus and just a couple of miles down the other side of the road is loch tarff. No boats but hardfighting trout (and arctic char).

This a free water ?
What’s better, morning, evening ?
And what about river Enrick and Coltie ?
This so hard to get informations in your country … !!!

James Laraway

« Reply #11 on: 12/07/2022 at 07:18 »
It's not free but Ill have to see if I still have the phone number for the estate. Just go in and fish and take £15 or £20 with you. You may or may not get approached for a permit by a gamekeeper , either way they will not be annoyed. I'd fish the side opposite the road. Car park is at South East corner of the loch. Park there and walk along the loch. If the water is low enough wade out to the big Island and fish round it. If not start fishing the bays to the north👍👍

I've caught mist times of day but in this temperature evening will be best

James Laraway

« Reply #12 on: 12/07/2022 at 07:53 »
Or, if youd rather fish from a boat the fishing on Loch Knockie that is owned by the White ridge Hotel...but it's round the other side of loch Ness so a bit of a drive?

James Laraway

« Reply #13 on: 12/07/2022 at 08:12 »
Loch tarff permits 01320 366308... That's from years ago but hopefully still correct !

Jerome Esbelin

« Reply #14 on: 12/07/2022 at 10:46 »
Thanks for this
I am trying to contact Peter from green-highlander.com but without success for the moment
About fishing a burns ( = tributary ? ) where it goes inside the loch ness … fishing in the loch ness is free or that’s the same?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com