Sandy Nelson

Danica on the Don
« on: 31/05/2022 at 16:52 »
Finally managed to catch one to confirm they are found on the Don

Iain Cameron

Re: Danica on the Don
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2022 at 10:45 »
Amazing.
Jamie of the Rivers Dee & Don mentioned one at Inverurie in a message to me last night, but he didn't have a pic.

I'd seen a large upright at weekend, notable as I wasn't expecting to see much of march brown size, so I just put it down as a Large Brook Dun and didn't investigate closer. Kicking myself now, as there was something not-quite-brook-dun about the beastie... was sheltering under a tree at the time, poor excuse :-)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 01/06/2022 at 11:55 »
I sent Jamie the pics yesterday  :z16
First time I’ve managed to get one to photograph, I watched it hatch from across the river and thought it might be a Brook Dun until it’s wings unfolded and we’re distinctly yellow. It was also huge . If a Brook dun is a size 8/10 then this would have been a 2 or a 4.
I’ve only seen one once before on the Don and it was flying . You wouldnt mistake it for anything else if you saw it fairly close.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #3 on: 01/06/2022 at 14:18 »
I'll have words with Jamie about his lack of sharing!

very, very cool to have them confirmed. I've seen 'em hatch out on a calm day on Lough Corrib  and they are quite a sight to see.
thanks for sharing the pics, Sandy

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 02/06/2022 at 19:47 »
I found a mayfly spinner today. a first for me on the Don.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 03/06/2022 at 06:00 »
Awesome  *smiley-yippee*

I’ve not seen one of those yet, I did see a few more hatching on Wednesday afternoon however, so it looks like there may be more than one or two :z16

Steven Kidd

« Reply #6 on: 03/06/2022 at 10:49 »
We have the technology....... *smiley-wink*

Steven

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #7 on: 03/06/2022 at 15:22 »
Those beastie imitations would be a handy size for me to see compared to the size 14 sedge & upright action late last night.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #8 on: 04/06/2022 at 09:17 »
We have the technology.......

Steven

Wowsers, cracking work there

Steven Kidd

« Reply #9 on: 04/06/2022 at 13:43 »
I can't take credit for these..... J.Son of Sweden.

I discovered them before a trip to Caithness last year and noticed they come in a more cream brown colour, just like our Don Mayfly......I'm going to give them a go over the head of a big fella once I find another one!

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com