Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Sliding Dropper Knot & the Perfection Loop
« on: 20/05/2022 at 12:31 »
There are lots of useful knots - do you use these two?

What are your favourite knots?

Steven Kidd

Re: Sliding Dropper Knot & the Perfection Loop
« Reply #1 on: 21/05/2022 at 22:53 »
The sliding dropper knot is a new one on me, interesting...in what application would you prefer this for a dropper over the 4 turn water knot?

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 22/05/2022 at 09:44 »
Good question Steven.

Somebody showed me that one many moons ago at the fishery and I remember thinking that I'd seen something similar used in Spain - for sliding a bushy dry up and down to control the depth of nymphs hanging under it. I tend to fish a single fly most of the time, so it is not a knot that I have used much.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #3 on: 23/05/2022 at 07:40 »
Perfection loop, yes, a lovely neat loop and strangely satisfying to tie.

Was Wondering if the sliding dropper knot would work for a sliding nymph Indicator. Might give it a bash

Ian Fraser-Stables

« Reply #4 on: 01/06/2022 at 16:53 »
I've not used the Dropper as like you Mike I tend to only use one fly.

However the Perfection loop although a lovely neat knot and fairly easy to tie once you get the hang of it, is hit and miss depending upon the line you are using.

For example, I think I mentioned in my Fluorocarbon thread that I tested a few knots with different lines. I'd been using the Perfection loop for a while but found that it broke more than once with some lines, mainly Fluoro at around 40-60% and usually when a slightly stronger fish decided to test for the Olympic team and though it was a Mako Shark.  *smiley-funny*

The Perfection loop with Hardy Copolymer 10lb was 66% average on 3 tests, but with Drennan 8lb was 92.5%, not bad at all. Except that the Lefty Kreh loop knot tied on the Hardy line was between 85-97% and with the Drennan 8lb was 101%. The Grinner loop came out the best overall, although not really a loop knot, it can be tied that way, Hardy 10lb broke at 10.1lb and Drennan  8lb broke at 9.7lb.

I hope this is useful.  :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 29/07/2022 at 14:36 »
What about this one from Stephen Cheetham at North Country Spiders ( 3 spiders but no droppers ) anybody tried it  :?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com