Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Classic Fly Reels
« on: 14/05/2022 at 17:06 »
More stuff found in the depths of the cupboard  *smiley-grin*

These were good little fly reels and a popular choice back in the day  :)

Re: Classic Fly Reels
« Reply #1 on: 16/05/2022 at 13:54 »
My first reel was a 395, it's still going strong. Landed my first Salmon on the fly using it

Alex Russell

« Reply #2 on: 17/05/2022 at 10:50 »
My first feel was an automatic Mitchell, if you caught a half punner it would water ski across the surface to you😊

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 17/05/2022 at 18:32 »
And here's another one that was a popular choice.

It was a bit rough when I got it, but there again, it has stood the test of time and still works absolutely fine  *smiley-grin*

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 21/05/2022 at 07:58 »
Still got my Magnum bought new when they were introduced and that works fine too. Must try it on the 15' wafter - may balance it nicely. Which makes me think - what is the best way to pack a small arbor reel to make it like a large arbor? Need to replace the existing 10 weight line for a 3 weight.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 22/05/2022 at 22:56 »
I would put the line on first Terry - fit your line to the spool and then fill the spool to your desired height with backing line.

Once you are happy with it, you can then remove everything and reverse it for a good fit.

If you like a lot of backing you can use a fine braid, but although standard backing takes up more space on your spool, in my experience it is easier to fit and maintain.

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 23/05/2022 at 08:51 »
Thanks for the suggestion Mike. I added a further 100m of backing to the existing backing and the 3 wt line is still 12mm from the spool rim!
Not sure that 400m of backing is a good idea so I'm going to turn a wooden spacer which will be sawn in half and lightly glued together on the arbor.
The reel must be filled to capacity because the drag, even on lowest, is a bit strong for trout leaders and the added diameter will lessen the resistance.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 23/05/2022 at 09:24 »
Maybe it would be easier to try a chunky salmon backing line Terry?

Terry Coging

« Reply #8 on: 25/05/2022 at 09:59 »
The Magnum is now a large arbor  *smiley-grin*. Just need to waterproof the wooden spacer with wax before fitting.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 25/05/2022 at 11:05 »
The Magnum is now a large arbor  *smiley-grin*. Just need to waterproof the wooden spacer with wax before fitting.

That kept you out of mischief for a while  *smiley-funny*

Terry Coging

« Reply #10 on: 25/05/2022 at 21:46 »
Only 30 min to make. Hoping to use the Magnum tomorrow when a good wind is forecast.
It will help to balance the wafter when the 2' extension is added (which has another reel seat). This makes the rod 17' long and I want to try dapping with a line I've concocted.
It has a 25' head at 6 grams and very thin running line. It should sail in a decent wind especially with the help of a waft now and again.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com