Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Gary Wilson

Advice for Assynt
« on: 13/05/2022 at 11:19 »
Hello,
I’m doing the NC500 n May and I’m going to try my hand at fly fishing. I’m an experienced course fisherman and after been shown how to cast by a friend who has leant me all his fly gear I’ve become quite adept at casting after practising every night in the local sports field. I appreciate nothing like real time but at least I know I can get the fly out.
My Q is where to go:- I was going to go to loch assynt but the water is massive so I’m presuming hard to locate the trout?
I’m stopping in Lochinver for 2 days.
Any help would be greatly appreciated Regards, Gary

Mike Barrio

Re: Advice for Assynt
« Reply #1 on: 13/05/2022 at 11:49 »
Hi Gary - welcome to the forum.

I would book a day with Stewart at https://assyntflyfishing.com/services/coaching-guiding/ - highly recommended  :z16

He will be able to help you out with some basic pointers to get you off to a good start, take you to where there will be some trout, and will sort out permits etc.

Cheers
Mike

Gary Wilson

« Reply #2 on: 13/05/2022 at 15:49 »
Thanks Mike,
He’s booked up on the days I’m free unfortunately.

What are your thoughts on fishing lochs for trout?? Too big??

Rivers best?

Any advice would be great. I appreciate it’s a large subject

Thanks

Andy Finlay

« Reply #3 on: 13/05/2022 at 22:30 »
There are loads of lochs to choose from. I'm by no way an expert on assynt so only going on my own experience over a few years fishing in the area a few times. Assynt itself is massive, unless going out with someone who knows it I'd give it a miss. Have a look at the assynt angling map. There are quite a few lochs near Lochinver that are easly accessible, some have boats if you want but most fish well from the bank. You can get to them pretty easily, if you're only there for a couple of days I'd suggest the ones that are not a long walk (some are a long walk) and have some fun bank fishing. Pretty sure the lochs are under £10 for a day ticket and you have loads to choose from. Rivers I've never bothered with, more aimed at salmon and are expensive. 
Things have changed regarding permits in the last few years, have a look at assynt angling website as it will keep you correct on where to buy.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 14/05/2022 at 07:46 »
Hi Gary,

Myself and fishing buddies go to Assynt annually. Usually based within 30mins drive or so of Lochinver and its pie shop, which you have to visit. The hardware/chandlery in Lochinver is where we got permits and wee map last time. 

Loch Assynt *is* huge. But we will always fish it for a couple of hours in between longer expeditions to hill lochs.  the margins are trout friendly, mostly…some banks areas are repeatedly productive, others seemingly fish-free at times, so if they day feels fishy, but the trout aren’t showing, move on.   if it’s been raining, look out for burn mouths where they spill into the loch, stating the obvious! And worth exploring the eastern end where there are a couple of larger burns coming in.  I’ve seen some lovely long wind lanes with olives in the foam lanes blowing along the loch, at times. And other days where the wind will blow you over 😀

The choice is bewildering, so Andy’s earlier advice is good. Have a wander.

Flies… our proven, predictable piscatorial pick for dries is a Sedgemerger- a palmered body, deer hair sedge with green/olive dubbed body. Any low profile sedge in sizes 12-16 is worth a swim.

Cheers
Iain

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 15/05/2022 at 17:51 »
For some easy access bank fishing  the Cam Loch and Loch Borralan are worth a look.  Don't be put off Loch Borralan just because it is by the roadside - it's stuffed with fish.  To fish Loch Veyattie or The Cam Loch (Ledmore Estate waters) phone Mark Mackenzie  on 07816 612100.  I'll be there again in 3 weeks time  :z18

Ben Crichton

« Reply #6 on: 22/05/2022 at 15:05 »
If you're planning any of the corrie lochs then I'd get out and do some walking. Looks easy on a map and Google earth but it's a killer in reality😬 As I found out 😂

Iain Cameron

« Reply #7 on: 23/05/2022 at 10:13 »
@Ben - my first Assynt trip years ago... had been float-tubing en route, with my  thick, lined trousers to combat the cold water. 

Packing & planning mix up and generally not thinking about the reality meant that I arrived in Assynt poorly prepared for a long walk up to a corrie loch, and decided, much to the amusement/puzzlement of my fishing buddy that I would walk in wearing my trousers *and* chest waders.. and felt soled-wading boots.... ooooh boy.... was that ever a poor call. 

Walk-in was about 1hr and 45mins, with a fair bit of off-road bog-hopping.  Halfway, i apparently said "I'm not sure i'm enjoying this very much..." i cannot recall, was too busy perspiring & expiring!

Arrived panting and dripping with sweat and couldn't do anything for the first 30 mins but dry off and recover. I swear I could pour the sweat out from the waders.

aye... anyway, lesson learned. Now, either just my waist waders - makes a surprising difference for comfort/radiating excess heat - or an old pair of stocking foot breathable waders that I cut off a short way above the knees. Made some eyelets, threaded through some elasticated cord and a wee spring-clip thing so that I can draw them closed. Brilliant - i can walk in (in proper walking boots, one size+ normal to accommodate the neoprence sticking feet) &  cross burns/puddles to knee height and just above, and wade the margins, which can make  life sooooo much easier at times (line can lie on the water instead of being wrapped around countless heather bastards).

Ben Crichton

« Reply #8 on: 24/05/2022 at 06:53 »
Gary, Iain has some good advice. We definitely went with far to much gear and won't make that mistake again. The hardware shop in Lochinver issues permits. I believe they are the only place that do so now? The fishing is divided in to 3 zones, you can pay for one zone or a roaming permit where you can move about. It's really a paradise for trout fishermen, something for everyone. If you want wilderness than you can yomp up the hills and have no fear of seeing anything other than wildlife. You can park the car and keep it in sight as you fish. Hope to be reading your "report" one day!

Alex Russell

« Reply #9 on: 24/05/2022 at 09:29 »
wee book published by the Scottish country sports tourism group. Trout fishing in Assynt a guide to 30 lochs. Published 2009 👍

Ben Crichton

« Reply #10 on: 24/05/2022 at 10:10 »
Alex, you beat me to it! Great little book!

Terry Coging

« Reply #11 on: 20/06/2022 at 06:35 »
Just had a week up there. Veyattie, Cam, Ailsh and of course Borralan. My buddies also fished Urigill (too far for me to walk). Sparodic Mayfly and sedge hatches. Best Loch - Borralan! The mayfly and big sedges were bringing the better fish up and had plenty approaching a pound.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 20/06/2022 at 15:06 »
I'd also say borrowing would be a good place to start or the bottom bay in cam accessed from a layby half a mile or so before ledmore junction on the left approaching from the ullapool side.

If you take one fly it should be Bob Wyatts Deer Hair Sedge, with a black/claret dubbed body.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com