Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ian Aitchison

Where are the Fly Hatches.
« on: 08/05/2022 at 10:47 »
I fish the Deveron and I have to say 2022 is proving poor for fly life, yes there have been sporadic hatches of March Brown, LDO and Medium Olives for about 5 to 10 minutes but yesterday I fished at Corniehaugh with the Ghillie, a guy that fished on the England Fly Fishing Team and we blanked. Occasional olives were drifting down where the Troutlets rose to them every now and and then splashing at them from the bottom, we both missed these rising fish. At this time of year I would expect great hatches of Olives. On the 2nd May I kept one of about a pound for an autopsy, compared to previous years it’s stomach was comparatively empty, some Baetis Nymphs, 2 Stonefly Creepers. Is it the same on the Don? Is it time for theFishery Boards to investigate if it is Agri Chemical related or Global Warming, what’s going on?

Steven Kidd

Re: Where are the Fly Hatches.
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2022 at 20:50 »
Iain,

Nowt going on Iain.....just have patience, it happens sometimes especially when March comes in like a lamb and goes out like a Lion....

Week or two, all will be well.

Steven

Ian Aitchison

« Reply #2 on: 09/05/2022 at 10:24 »
Steven, I do hope you are right, however, I know that I will catch using nymph but prefer dry. Last year Was a cold spring and we had good hatches from mid April. After living here 8 years on the banks of the Deveron there seems a rabbit away.

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2022 at 10:43 »
Interesting subject.

If you fished back in the 70/80s you will see a huge change in fly life. The Decline is huge  :(.  During a big spring hatch when i was a bairn the river was covered in flies it was hard to see pick out your own fly. A lot of time you had to fish with large winged dry fly covered in floatant just so you could see it in the mass of flies.

The best hatch now is probably equivalent to a  to a poor one 40 years ago. 

Just my tuppence worth and i could be wrong. But Pesticides will be a lot more efficient than 40 years ago. And the Don is surrounded by agriculture.

The Dee still seems to have excellent fly life. and it has less agriculture  :z8.

As i said. Just my tuppence worth. 

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 09/05/2022 at 15:59 »
It’s an interesting question and I don’t think there’s a good answer.
I would say that in comparison with the distant past, the hatches of all the flies are not on par. In that I agree with Ivor. I can remember much larger March Brown and Olive hatches and more iron blues when I was younger, however I have witnessed very large March Brown and Dark Olive hatches in recent years and during lockdown there was the biggest hawthorn fall I’ve ever witnessed.
So Onto this year . So far I would say on the Don it has been fairly average for recent years. There was big LDO hatches back in late Feb/early March before the season started and they have continued to trickle off everyday but in small numbers so they are easily missed.
The March browns appeared late March and there were good hatches the second week of April which is later than usual. They were the classic 1hr window but it could be anytime from 10am to 3pm depending on the weather and that is different to how it was 30 years ago when you could almost set your watch by them at 12 noon. They were sparse but significant enough before and after that week to get the fish feeding.
The Olive uprights have not appeared in the numbers we are used to these days and they are mostly smaller than they normally are, they have also been scattered small bursts over a 6 hour period rather than a sustained and obvious hatch.
I’ve not seen any iron blues yet but there are Brook Duns coming off in their usual here and there appearances. They rarely cause a rise.

This last week there have been some huge Grannom hatches where I’ve been, along with some smaller sedges in amongst them. This has had the fish feeding on the pupa and a few of the adults, but when they were hatching there were hundreds of them every time the sun came out. This appeared fairly normal to me, except it’s about 2weeks late. When they came off I could literally see dozens of shucks and hatching sedge all round be in the river.

I saw the first yellow mays starting on Saturday during the afternoon and that’s about normal but it remains to be seen how that goes.
Last year the blue winged olive hatch was quite poor on an evening but the bigger sedges were quite normal.

So I guess the main thing I’ve noticed is that a lot of the flies are smaller than usual and are definitely less prolific than decades ago but for the last 10 years things are much the same regarding quantity but the timings are all over the place and predicting when to hit it has been tough. When I have been out and hit the window the Don has fished really well with some good fish showing. Some of the best days were not ideal conditions either which always makes me laugh. I’ve had a couple of trips to the deveron and it seemed to be much the same. But I haven’t spent enough time on it to be able to say much, unlike the Don   :z16

Duncan McRae

« Reply #5 on: 11/05/2022 at 20:56 »
The biggest change I have noticed regarding trout on the Don is the demise of the evening rise.
From my own experience,it seems that the beats I fish above Inverurie no longer have an evening rise of any consequence while the beats below Inverurie still have small pockets of rising fish although nothing like years ago.
l personally think that there is a definite split between the upper and lower beats but I can't think why.

Duncan

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: 16/05/2022 at 09:46 »
My local river had great hatches of March Browns and Large Dark Olives at the start of April. You could almost set you watch when the rises would start. Same later on in the season with the yellow sally's. After a lot of watching over the years we put the lack of fly life down to an outflow of a sewage works and run off from the fields were slurry had been spread.
Bob.

Fred Hay

« Reply #7 on: 17/05/2022 at 06:13 »
I quite agree with Bob and firmly believe that it is all down to pollution and probably down to sewage outfall and pesticides ending up in the water and killing off the bacteria etc that the fly larvae feed on i.e. the bottom of the food chain.
This combined with the  ever growing town development which is happening in every town, village and corner of every field where a house has been built - every household uses all kind of detergent which contain chemicals which - 'kill all known germs' or kills 99% of bacteria etc.  That all ends up through some treatment works of some kind but ends up being discharged into the river as the sewage treatment is only geared at removing the solids and discharging treated/diluted effluence back into the rivers at an 'agreed and acceptable' level which may or may not kill to higher life forms e.g. fish, birds etc but are potentially fatal to the smaller organisms.
Sorry about the rant but a touchy subject with me and one I've been trying to get SEPA help resolve but they are blinkered to taking water samples to check the water quality to determine if it is fit for consumption when it goes back into the river.  As long as it fits it with current guidelines that's fine.

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: 19/05/2022 at 09:29 »
Fishing the Tummel (Perthshire) a beat below the dam in the low water I was sad at the amount of blanket weed that was about. There never used to be any as far as I know. No wonder the big hatches have gone. We seam to be hell bent on destroying this planet.
C.O.P.24 was going to solve some problems but all hope flew out the window when the members were all arriving in big private jets.
Bob.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com