Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Bates

Re: Wader replacement
« Reply #15 on: 27/05/2022 at 20:07 »
Cheers James, interesting looking boot and available in my local emporium.
 I will have a look, not many boots can stick estuary work.

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #16 on: 30/05/2022 at 20:44 »
I’d second the Simms Freestone boots, near indestructible construction but mine were a tad tight for trekking reasonable distances, so let them go and opted for Orvis, which are equally solid so far.

I’m deliberating over buying a new pair  of waders and considering the koski’s but thought I’d scored with a pair of Vision Ikon’s new old stock last season and they lasted about 2 months before seeping at the neoprene boot tops then all hell broke loose on the seams.

I’ll dabble with treating them myself first but for a few hundred quid I expected at least a season.
2 new pairs of neoprene daiwas too and a second hand pair of orvis, all leaking in one season.

It irks me to see fellow anglers on the bank in immaculate near perfect waders and mines regardless of 1 week or 100 usually clarted in mud and in a heavily worn state.

The Vision koski’s, any other users recommend these?

James Laraway

« Reply #17 on: 30/05/2022 at 21:43 »
Cheers James, interesting looking boot and available in my local emporium.
 I will have a look, not many boots can stick estuary work.

If your wading on soft ground like sand how about these? I bought a pair for float tubing and the sole is tough enough to walk over easy ground in, plus salt water is no problem...
https://www.istsports.com/https://www.istsports.com/S65-5mm-sneaker-sole-boots.html

Dave Robb

« Reply #18 on: 31/05/2022 at 06:24 »
GAC were selling off all their Hodgman stuff last season at some decent prices

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/stockingfoot-waders/hodgman-aesis-sonic-digi-camo-stockingfoot-chest-waders~36458.html

I got these as a back up for my Orvis sonics, and for £150 they seem to be a solid pair of waders.

Thick material which feels like it could take a bit of a beating.

Only a couple of sizes left.

Waders are one of those things that are best bought when on offer /  in advance to have a pair on standby.

Richard Bates

« Reply #19 on: 31/05/2022 at 17:34 »
I hate recommending kit to anyone because we all use and abuse stuff differently.

Stevie, I've never used the Ikon's but I think the Koski's may be similar. The Koski's are the lightest waders I've used and also the best fit. More like scrambling around in a pair of lightweight hiking trousers but i think the relatively soft, light material wears well. I may have just been lucky with this pair.

James, thanks for the link to the boots. I use a similar pair on some occasions for wet wading, however, I spend most of my time slithering around on weed covered rocks and studded boots are a must.

I also have  a pair of Guideline Laxa waders(bought in a sale!) which seem very well made BUT they are showing signs of wear after only a few trips. The material is showing signs of fraying on creases on the inside leg from walking.  They do not fit as well or offer the freedom of movement of the Koski's so are now my back-up waders.

What we wear under our waders probably affects them too. I always wear Under Armour type compression  leggings with an additional  pair of stretchy thermals over them in colder weather. Again, very easy to move around in and wicks sweat away from your skin but is very kind to the internal seams on the waders.

On reflection,  perhaps good fit and free movement that doesn't pull the seams is the secret to longevity. 

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #20 on: 03/06/2022 at 15:52 »
Hey Richard,

No worries, as you mention we all use them differently, good points on what we wear beneath affecting seams and agree the fit and comfort factor were spot on. I’m assuming the Koski are much the same as the Ikon range.

I’ve decided against buying any new breathable pair just yet and opted to attempt the repair of 3 pairs here first, although the first attempt on my Orvis set failed last night.

In a fit of rage at yet another soaking,  I’ve just bought a pair of Vass 600’s to see me through until the repairs are properly done.

I actually don’t mind the pvc type waders at all once in the water and
I’ll get some good use out of them on  lochs too but trekking is another story and where the breathables come into their own.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com