Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Wader replacement
« on: 03/05/2022 at 10:46 »
Been an Orvis fan for the last 10 or so years, but my latest Orvis purchase, Pro Waders, have major issues. After several frustrating conversations on the phone, they are going back for a refund.

So, I am looking at possibly the Patagonia range, mostly because I can actually go and try on a pair before buying, but also because I have heard nothing but good things.

Any other suggestions on a hard wearing wader that can stand a bit of sliding down banks and kneeling whilst holding my head in my hands crying at another missed take?

Cheers chaps.

Sandy Nelson

Re: Wader replacement
« Reply #1 on: 03/05/2022 at 12:30 »
My life greatest bug bear  ::(

I think it depends how long you expect to get out of them.  I usually get one dry season and then by the end of season two they are leaking, that goes for Orvis, vision, guideline, simms, Patagonia, Airflo basically everything I’ve tried. Some have leaked from the start of second season but My Patagonia’s were the only waders that lasted into season season 3 before leaking. But Patagonia no longer make the lower price level models and it was one of those.
Consequently I now look at waders as a consumable and won’t pay over £200 for them, I don’t care whose they as they will only last 2 seasons anyway.
My current pair are guideline Kaituns and so far have proved very comfy and I’m still dry (granted they are 2 weeks old as t he simms freestones completely let go at the start of this season 1.5seasons)
I walk a lot and that seems to be a more important criteria these days, I need to be able to move in them without rubbing a seam between my legs.
I know that’s probably no use, but I find waders totally frustrating

Sandy

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 03/05/2022 at 12:53 »
I agree with Sandy.

There is NO point paying much as whatever the make and price breathable don't last

My tactic has been picking up heavily discounted (last seasons) ones from the like of john norris - normally they dont fit great but for £130 to £150 you can get a good set and if they leak send them off to diver dave for a total re-seal

This normally means i get 3 or 4 seasons out of them.

I also find that neoprene waders last me far longer - i think i had my vision sub zeros for about 6 or 7 years before they have up. That was float tubing in them on a regular basis. So if you can put up with being hot then its the way to go in my view  *smiley-lol*

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 03/05/2022 at 12:57 »
Rob my new Patty Swift currents are leaking after a handful of trips. Ankle and crotch seams, common issue from guys I’ve spoke to. Usually they are shithot with repairs but the current state of affairs means things are taking longer.  *smiley-sad*

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 03/05/2022 at 13:52 »
Ahhh, I shall just resort to wrapping myself in clingfilm then!

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 03/05/2022 at 15:02 »
Not being funny but at northwards of £600 for a pair of waders they shouldn't leak for at least 2 years, no matter how heavy the use -  end of.
Clearly they have no concept of product testing or reliability because that is 100 % unacceptable  ::(
So much for paying for a premium product ! ( i dont care how good their repairs are - they shouldn't need repairs at that price !)

Rob my new Patty Swift currents are leaking after a handful of trips. Ankle and crotch seams, common issue from guys I’ve spoke to. Usually they are shithot with repairs but the current state of affairs means things are taking longer.  *smiley-sad*

« Reply #6 on: 04/05/2022 at 17:18 »
There are some offers on Hodgman waders at the moment. I picked up a pair of H5 waders, they seem very robustly built. But can't comment on their longevity.

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #7 on: 05/05/2022 at 06:48 »
My solution was the get them seam sealed by Diver Dave. I’ve also had Dave test and seal older Simms waders which cured the leak problem, the only issue with them was getting them on and off after sealing. A dusting of talcum powder sorted that but did leave dust marks on my trousers, again easily dusted off. I have arthritic knees and an artificial hip so getting chest waders off can be an issue. Moving to Vision zip front waders, supplied and seam sealed by Dave has helped and after two seasons no leaks.

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #8 on: 05/05/2022 at 23:23 »
Over the years I have stock-piled, I have a pair of the old Simms neoprene waders here somewhere, probably been only worn a couple of times at most. Snowbees, Scierras which are still in their boxes. Keep a keen eye on the discount & discontinued lines, pays dividends in the end.   :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 06/05/2022 at 13:45 »
I see John Norris have Guideline waders on a 50% offer at £129 at the moment.

https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/collections/sale/products/guideline-reach-waders

Richard Bates

« Reply #10 on: 26/05/2022 at 20:30 »
After many, expensive disappointments with breathable waders I almost gave up and returned to neoprene's in all but the warmest weather. The neoprene's were reasonably tough and easy to repair but are very uncomfortable if you cover a lot of ground. After reading Henry Gilbey's bass fishing blog, I took a punt on a pair of Vision Koski  waders and I am very pleased with them. Over 300 days fishing so far and no leaks. I give my waders hell, 50% of use is in salt water and walk between five to ten miles most trips. These are not cheap but have outperformed waders costing twice as much.
Boots are another matter, I cant believe how short lived they are for the cost!
Any suggestions on boots?

Richard

James Laraway

« Reply #11 on: 26/05/2022 at 20:57 »
I would never recommend anything from Simms due to the price but their wading boots are properly bombproof.,....I've had a pair for years and they are like new.  They are built like quality hiking boots....

Richard Bates

« Reply #12 on: 26/05/2022 at 21:48 »
Which model of Simms boots are they?
 I bought a pair of Vision Musta Michelin boots but have only use them twice, the sole is stitched to the upper so shouldn't fall off! 

Steven Kidd

« Reply #13 on: 27/05/2022 at 15:50 »
Just noticed this thread,

I used to have a pair of Orvis waders which were bombproof and lasted many seasons of trouting........during my 8 year gap, mice ate the feet out them in the garage......i then bought another pair of Orvis waders and they didnt even last an entire season....sent them back and got a replacement of Snowbee STX,

The Snowbee were on a good deal, sub £200 and feel like a thicker more seal skin type textured material, hard to explain but so far so good.

Steven

James Laraway

« Reply #14 on: 27/05/2022 at 19:49 »
Simms Freestone...

Which model of Simms boots are they?
 I bought a pair of Vision Musta Michelin boots but have only use them twice, the sole is stitched to the upper so shouldn't fall off!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com