Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ivor Duffus

Easter Monday on the Deveron.
« on: 20/04/2022 at 14:45 »
Enjoyed fishing this beat. Had a brief encounter with something hefty on the Salmon gear but it was off within a minute or so  :X2.

Had the trout rod set up in the Afternoon but not much to go at.  Am guessing the lower Deveron May fish better for broonies later in May June.  That said there was not much flys coming down.

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Easter Monday on the Deveron.
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2022 at 18:00 »
Nice looking water  :z16

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2022 at 21:07 »
Nice looking water  :z16

I think it was about a foot above summer levels. The pools are really long at that level and plenty of them. Just wish i had a off road vehicle as you can drive along the bank almost the whole beat. Not to bad if you only have a road car. 

Fred Hay

« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2022 at 07:58 »
Which beat were you on ?

I had a couple of days on Netherdale last week - nothing doing by way of salmon nor trout.

I was looking forward to having cast for brownies mid-dayish but was disappointed that there was no sign of any fly life on the water and very little by way of a trout rise of any kind.

Seems to be something affecting all our rivers - even the Don although there has been the odd hatch they are short and sporadic.

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2022 at 16:01 »
Which beat were you on ?

I had a couple of days on Netherdale last week - nothing doing by way of salmon nor trout.

I was looking forward to having cast for brownies mid-dayish but was disappointed that there was no sign of any fly life on the water and very little by way of a trout rise of any kind.

Seems to be something affecting all our rivers - even the Don although there has been the odd hatch they are short and sporadic.

I was on Dunlugus Fred.

Have to agree about the poor fly life, it is fairly grim considering the massive spring hatches I used to see as a kid in the 70s on the Don. Not a big fan of fishing deep with nymphs but seems to be the way nowadays for the trout.

I have to say the prices on the top beats during April on fish the Deveron are good value and sensible. I was £27.50 for my day ticket. I think that’s ok considering the Deveron only gets a few Springers in April.

I think Dunlugus is weekly let’s after May. Not much availability after April.

Ivor

Fred Hay

« Reply #5 on: 22/04/2022 at 05:36 »
Thanks Ivor
I did think it was Dunlugas - it's a long time since I've fished it though, my favorite pool was the Greenbank .   Used to be quite successful back in the day and the Deveron used to be a hidden gem - I can't remember the name of the pool above the small hut down at the bend (your photo) and had some memorable days catching sea trout kelts on dry fly - great sport,
Sadly catches have been dropping off really badly in the last 10 years and it's not the river it used to be, salmon numbers  falling and barely a sea trout to be had and obviously you noticed that as well with the lack of fly and brown trout life.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com