Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Duncan Hepburn

Fishing around Elgin area - Advice
« on: 11/04/2022 at 16:25 »
Hello Folks
Looking for a wee bit of advice……
Will be up fishing in Elgin area again in early August with my brother for a couple of days.
Traditionally we have always spent a day on the fantastic Millbuies  - beautiful place and fantastic fishing - however with the leaseholder having had to hand back the water due to ill-health we are looking for an alternative loch in the area.
We’re not really fussed for stocky-bashing out a pond, it’s more about the setting with (of course) a chance of a fish or two!! Boat option preferable.
Any suggestions/local advice or recommendations?
Loch Na Bo looks a good alternative but can’t find any info on who to contact re permits/hiring the boat and would be good to have it sorted prior to our trip.

Any advice on this or other options would be very gratefully received.
  :z16

Allan Liddle

Re: Fishing around Elgin area - Advice
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/2022 at 19:27 »
Didn't realise Millbuies was closed and I hope someone else picks this one up as it's a cracking place to fish.

NaBo is accessed either directly via estate, or better still (much better boat and way easier to access) via the River Spey Anglers Association boat that is moored on this excellent loch.
Either message via the RSAA Facebook page or contact via website.
Members only but fee only £20 and boat only £15 .

Bank fishing free on nearby Glenlatterach Reservoir but requires a walk in from the pumping station (about a mile hike on a tarred road) and both NaBo and Glenlatterach hold only wild browns.

Duncan Hepburn

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2022 at 21:37 »
Thanks, Allan. :z16
That’s really helpful advice, as I was struggling to find anything online re details for Na Bo.
Will make enquiry.

Fred Hay

« Reply #3 on: 12/04/2022 at 06:35 »
I usually have a few days holiday in Findhorn and try to get to a fishery so you have the Glen of Rothes Fishery,  Geddes Fishery and the Achagour Fishery all within easy reach of Elgin.
I would recommend the Achagour Fishery as I've always had  a decent day there and quite friendly and scenic.
I haven't fished the Glen of Rothes but it does get good reviews.   
Geddes is OK but have been disappointed in the past.

Duncan Hepburn

« Reply #4 on: 12/04/2022 at 10:12 »
Thanks for that, Fred  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 12/04/2022 at 22:56 »
Sorry i thought it was just wild waters however you are well covered if fisheries are your thing.

Wardend at Fogwatt (very close to Millbuies) can be excellent, Mill of Kellas just west of Elgin can also be really good.
Artloch near Huntly has just re-opened, Geddes fishery near Nairn has also been kind to me and a relaxing place to visit.

Another wild boat water (ok supplementary stocked with fry) is Loch Belivat on the Lethan Estate which lies near to Aldearn, beautiful relaxing place but can be difficult.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com