Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

The importance of dealing with memory.
« on: 07/04/2022 at 08:39 »
A couple of times in the past week I, or someone I have fished with, has spent the time to lay out a running line from a shooting head to remove the irritating ‘memory’ that can appear with mono based (I use Varivas Airs) or some coated running lines. In fact, in the past, I have seen myself stretch out whole fly lines on swivels (after a days fishing!) to remove memory before re-loading to the reel  *smiley-shocking*  In the case of many fly lines stripping them off the reel straightening them out and unwinding any coiling before winding back on before fishing is time well spent, especially if the line has been on the reel or in storage for a while. Note that all lines tend to be impacted by very cold weather :!

Now it may well be that you have never experienced this but, if you have experienced a line with memory that a Mastermind contestant would be proud of, then there are simple steps you can take to minimise the problem which lie in two key things – the loading of the line for the first time and the casts you make.

The first thing to be aware of is when loading lines onto a reel for the first time. Now it really doesn’t matter what line it is (backing, shooting line, a whole fly line etc) you absolutely must have the spool carrying the line you are loading onto a reel and the reel itself aligned to each other. An extra pair of hands is handy here, in my case SWMBO or ‘little me’ will be given the job of holding the spool of line I am loading onto my reel and to keep it in a straight line to me. To minimise the opportunity for twisting, always take the line you are loading from the bottom of the spool onto the bottom of the reel. You must be particularly careful with mono-type running lines, these can be a right pain in the derriere to fit without coiling of some kind. When fishing – and notably with mono-type running lines – coiling or twisting inevitably leads to knotting and that always seems to happen just at the worst moment  *smiley-unhappy*  So, take care when loading and consider my mantra of ‘slow and steady’ when loading all lines but especially running lines.

I mentioned the casts that you make. Now this does largely apply to those using double handed rods making Spey casts, but I have experienced some ‘coiling’ of running line when Spey casting with single handed rods so the experience is valid there too. It all boils down to making the same type of cast repeatedly off the same shoulder/bank effectively winding coils into your line.
Sound daft :? Go and see for yourself :! The snake roll, something I use a fair bit for repositioning or making an anchor, is a bugger for creating coiling but more generally I believe that repetitive Spey casts of the same type are the trigger. If you can, mix it up a little and go over the other shoulder or use a different cast entirely. It can help. I have noted that those who favour short-headed lines (Skagit or versions of) seem to contend with more coiling/twisting than those who use longer-headed shooting heads or Spey-type lines. Now that could be a perception thing on my part, but a simple enough ‘fix’ is to let out the head and running line downstream of you and let it ‘sit’ there for a minute or so before winding the running line back on and continuing to fish. Or, as was commented on recently on the banks of the Beauly and the reason I am typing this out, take the time to stretch out the running line after a morning’s fishing and reload after lunch.
The time spent doing these simple things really can make all the difference when you’re on the water and remove much frustration from a day’s fishing  :z16

Terry Coging

Re: The importance of dealing with memory.
« Reply #1 on: 07/04/2022 at 20:03 »
That made very interesting reading Hamish.
I hang a full line out on a swivel quite frequently - usually for cleaning but with the benefit of a good old straighten out.
I don't use shooting heads or big salmon rods these days but often wondered if, when 'figure of eighting' and casting the coils from the hand, can it put a twist in the line? Sometimes get a knot when shooting - probably bunching rather than coiling though..

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: 18/04/2022 at 09:05 »
Thanks for that. Very interesting. Have problems with my line coiling and never understood why as i am a great believer in putting it on the reel carefully.
Bob.

Will Shaw

« Reply #3 on: 18/04/2022 at 11:22 »
My number one tip for minimising twist (regardless of whether it’s overhead or Spey) is to cast to the reel every time.

Don’t be tempted to pull off more line than you need. Get every cast to bang tight against the reel. This pulls out the twists.

If I’m casting different distances every time, and end up with loose line, then I take the time to make a couple of  casts that hit the reel and this usually removes any twists.

Cheers!

W.

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 18/04/2022 at 20:58 »
A bloody good tip that Will  :z16 Alas, my greed every time I make a cast means much self control would be needed - not my forte  *smiley-wink* *smiley-funny*
A different way of considering slack as the enemy................  >)

Fred Hay

« Reply #5 on: 19/04/2022 at 05:51 »
Interesting discussion - I have found that it is imperative to put the line on a fly line flat and level.
When putting the backing whether fly line backing or mono the spool must be kept in the upright position e.g. a pencil through the spool and wedged (or get someone to hold) such that the line can come straight off and be wound onto the fly reel.
Similarly with the fly line, it must be wound on flat and level - where it comes on a spool this is fairly simple again with a pencil through the spool to ensure it comes off level without twisting. Where the fly line comes loose it is more difficult as the line must be held and turned physically end over end until it is wound on - definitely need someone to hold the line.
If the line, whether it is mono, fly line backing or the fly line itself, does become twisted either through use or being incorrectly installed in the first place the only effective way I have found is to fit the reel on a rod, thread it through the rings and then lay it all out on a grass field, then drag the line through the grass ie walk around twenty/thirty steps dragging the line/mono through the grass and then wind it onto the reel.
You should find the twists are completely gone.
This is something you can do any time you are either going or finishing fishing just ensure you don't have any flies attached - works every time for me.

Incidently, if you are spooling mono/nylon onto a spinning reel an entirely different approach in needed - when spooling on a new line note the direction of your reel (usually clockwise) attach your new spool of mono/nylon and then ensure that the mono/nylon comes of the spool in the opposite direction i.e. anticlockwise (no need to put a pencil through the spool just lay it on the ground)  keep it tight when winding on to your reel and  this will ensure that it does not twist.   Obviously when fishing you would use one or two terminal swivels to prevent twisting when fishing but if a twist does appear in the line - then as above just run the line out across a grass field walk a bit to remove the twist and wind it back onto your reel - jobs a good one !!   Just remember to remove any hooks/swivels etc such that it only the line being dragged through the grass.

Mike Barrio

Re: The importance of dealing with memory. New
« Reply #6 on: 19/04/2022 at 09:54 »
Where the fly line comes loose it is more difficult as the line must be held and turned physically end over end until it is wound on - definitely need someone to hold the line.

If a fly line hasn't got a spool -  you can put it on a rod tube  :z16
Slide it onto the tube the right way round, so 'reel end' at the bottom and coming off towards you, then simply wind onto your reel as normal.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com