It handles Salmon up to 90cm as well........ *smiley-lol*

Steven

I've had double figure rainbows in mine...with a click n pawl reel 😆

Re: What's Your Glass?
« Reply #16 on: 12/04/2022 at 16:32 »
I have three glass rods in my collection:

An Epic 8'6" 6wt - I built one of the Blem kits
Taniwha 7’ 6” #4. again a self build
Moonlight Nirvana 7' 3wt - Drunken purchase during lock-down (but it was for a good cause)

Kav Ring

« Reply #17 on: 11/02/2023 at 22:30 »
Sorry to dig up an old thread and apologies if I should have started a new one. I have a Bens of Holland 1wt (I need to fish more with) and an Echo 4wt and an superfine 6wt I got on an eBay deal!!
I have an Epic 888 on the way. Plan to use it mainly for smaller river pike and maybe carp and coastal  fishing.in the summer. Just wondering what folks would think may be a good line choices. Guessing something intermediate for pike-all pretty short range fishing and not massive flies, and a floater for carp? Thank you for any advice.
Will post a pic when it arrives

James Laraway

« Reply #18 on: 13/02/2023 at 09:27 »
In terms of lines I bought a small stream for my #7 Haldin.
I had already cast it with a #6 SLX but a SS of the same head weight is a #8, so I bought an 8. It fishes lovely on a '#7 rod' so don't be afraid to go a 'bit heavier' as glass seems to take it ...

For fishing for pike I tend to like an intermediate. For my #8 B&W rod I managed to get hold of a new (unused) #8slx which i reccon will be just perfect...

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 13/02/2023 at 12:17 »
Kav, my feelings would along similar lines to James.
The 888 is a cannon and a LOT of fun, very much an 8wt for intermediate and sinkers, Short heavy 'outbound' style head, floaters would also be an 8, but if its a more conventional WF line, then a 9 will load it better. If you can try a couple first it would be better to see how you like it, a lot depends on what you will use it for. For Pike and the huge air resistant flies i would be looking at a shorter heavier head line in a 9. You tend to be casting less distance and just need something to turn the big fly over and get it where you need it.
The 888 will bend quite deep and you can generate some incredible power with a heavier line and a slower stroke, which is good for keeping a more open loop for the bulky Pike flies.  if you needed to cast with a faster stroke for fast changes on the flats or getting some distance then sticking to an 8 will be better. i actually liked it a lot with a 7wt full sinker and smaller flies.
Its a really versatile blank and like most rods will go a line up or down without an issue, depending on what you need it to do.

Sandy

Kav Ring

« Reply #20 on: 13/02/2023 at 21:14 »
Great thank you for the replies and I meant to say there are some lovely looking rods on this thread!!
I'll have a shop about and try some lines

Kav Ring

« Reply #21 on: 17/03/2023 at 22:11 »

Kym Goldsworthy

« Reply #22 on: 13/07/2023 at 02:03 »
I'm even later on this thread but I thought I'd add my 2 pesos.

I fish a 4wt Epic 5 piece. I think they call it the Packlight. I built it from one of their kits.

It's less noodley (is that even a word)  than some other 4wts I've cast but partners superbly with a Barro SLX 4wt line.

As expected it's a delicate dry fly rod but is also very happy casting an indicator and tungsten nymph rig.

A great all rounder

Kym

Matthew Riley

« Reply #23 on: 17/07/2023 at 17:52 »
Late reply , but I love my Thomas &Thomas Lotic 7'10 5 weight.  It can really punch out the line if need be but is still really delicate

Mark Hanlon

« Reply #24 on: 05/08/2023 at 19:27 »
My two current go to glass rods are a W. Jude 8’9” 3/4wt Ondawa  series prototype and Livingston Western Glass 8’9”  5wt both built by Bill Hickey of W. Jude. Fly Rod Company.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 11/08/2023 at 00:11 »
They look great Mark  :)

Kav Ring

« Reply #26 on: 24/09/2023 at 22:21 »
Just a quick follow upon this-thanks for the advice!. I picked up a Loop 9wt booster Pike line. Goes really well on the 8wt epic, I also got a cheap older Shakespeare sinker in a 10, cut about 6' off the front and and seems to go pretty well with short leader on the smaller rivers I fish.
Seriously tempted to a 10wt now ;)

Kav, my feelings would along similar lines to James.
The 888 is a cannon and a LOT of fun, very much an 8wt for intermediate and sinkers, Short heavy 'outbound' style head, floaters would also be an 8, but if its a more conventional WF line, then a 9 will load it better. If you can try a couple first it would be better to see how you like it, a lot depends on what you will use it for. For Pike and the huge air resistant flies i would be looking at a shorter heavier head line in a 9. You tend to be casting less distance and just need something to turn the big fly over and get it where you need it.
The 888 will bend quite deep and you can generate some incredible power with a heavier line and a slower stroke, which is good for keeping a more open loop for the bulky Pike flies.  if you needed to cast with a faster stroke for fast changes on the flats or getting some distance then sticking to an 8 will be better. i actually liked it a lot with a 7wt full sinker and smaller flies.
Its a really versatile blank and like most rods will go a line up or down without an issue, depending on what you need it to do.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com