Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stevie Rennie

Re: River Ythan 2022
« Reply #15 on: 21/07/2022 at 21:49 »
Great stuff Stevie  >)

Believe it or not, I've fished many stretches of the Ythan over the years, but not the estuary!

Highly recommended that you pay it a visit soon Mike, it’s an exciting way of fishing the ever changing tidal conditions for high quality quarry.

A  real gem to have near our doorstep, especially now the Don’s out of action.

James Laraway

« Reply #16 on: 21/07/2022 at 22:36 »
Great story and well told 👍

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #17 on: 24/07/2022 at 13:18 »
After such rewards on my last visits, I encouraged my buddy to head to the adaa estuary stretch and see if it was as productive for him there but he went and never saw a thing.

Feeling a tad guilty, I took him the next day to the estuary stretch which was forecast as calm conditions and a low high tide of 3.5mtrs.

Determined to fly fish the lower levels, I started a few hours before him catching half the falling tide and wading gradually forward as it waned.

I was fast running out of ythan terrors due to them getting hit so hard & their basic construction of single chicken feather but had one left, white with a black tinge on the feather and standard silver wrapped bodies. 

I fished it steadily on my ultra cheap but surprisingly sturdy #6 daiwa with sinking line until success came. A few knocks here and a finnock or two there but the fly never seemed to have the same appeal in the clearer conditions as previously.

There were a few guys slightly upstream of me from morning, which I assume had thrown countless terrors at them, so I had to select something appealing they definitely hadn’t seen.

Several options in my box that would be normal go to’s for seatrout on the river but my eyes landed on a black n blue flash damsel. Crazy I thought but I’ll give it half an hour.

3 casts and a steady strip retrieve with an occasional pause to let the tail flicker saw 3 follows and plucks from the finnock, next cast I changed to a steady twitching retrieve and enticed a solid grab from this beauty.

Amazed at the response the damsel was receiving, I confidently recast but soon snagged hard on a sharp barnacle covered rock just a little too far out to retrieve and lost the magic fly  :X1

Back into the box and the best I had to replicate it was a mini damsel with a fritzy type blue & black body, on it went and it seemed to work in attracting attention but not quite with the same consistency as the lost one.

My buddy had arrived and began fishing traditional wet type flies above me but after having limited success, I waded up and suggested he switch to a damsel on the point.
The look he gave me suggested I’d absorbed a bit too much salt water but I explained the interest it was generating and the now departed groups that had been chucking chicken feathers earlier.

Off he went visibly unsure, as I watched on eagerly above him. A few finnock showed interest quickly and with his confidence now building, he lifted into his first proper lump of a seatrout.
A serious tussle with one of the ythans finest ensued with the fish pulling line so fast through his fingers that it tore through the skin until as instructed he got it safely on the reel.

It gave a great account of itself and to see him buzzing with excitement  during the encounter and after, finally admiring its beauty in the net made both our days.

A few quick pics and away she went.

We continued on with steady success and I lost a couple of bigger ones but had a few like this.

Including a surprise that proved trickier to handle than expected.

Another cracking day on the Ythan estuary for the memory bank.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 24/07/2022 at 14:49 »
Nice photos, looks like a great day out  :)

James Laraway

« Reply #19 on: 24/07/2022 at 20:08 »
Great story Stevie. Funnily enough a mate of mine was fishing the Eden beat of the deveron a few years ago. There were no salmon about so he thought he'd try for trout. I'd given him a size 6 wooly bugger with and orange bead head and what did he get? A cracking seat trout!
So using trout lures is not as mad as you think....

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #20 on: 26/07/2022 at 02:10 »
Great story Stevie. Funnily enough a mate of mine was fishing the Eden beat of the deveron a few years ago. There were no salmon about so he thought he'd try for trout. I'd given him a size 6 wooly bugger with and orange bead head and what did he get? A cracking seat trout!
So using trout lures is not as mad as you think....

Agreed James,
I’ve often had great success by stepping away from the traditional patterns, not always intentionally but a very memorable example would be while out trouting and seeing a fresh grilse jump below me and changing quickly from nymphs to the only non natural looking fly I had in my nymph box.

A hot head purple fritz of all things that I found at a rainbow fishery. Cast across and swung it directly in front of the grilse and have never experienced a wilder take and fight, before or since.

There’s method in the madness *smiley-tongue-out*

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #21 on: 26/07/2022 at 10:41 »
Cracking fish.

Looks like the Estuary could be on for its best season in years.  Strange they don’t show the weekly totals on fishpal or have a monthly report. I can understand it when it’s poor but not when it’s fishing well.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #22 on: 26/07/2022 at 21:46 »
Strange thing to say but a good season might not be in our best interests with the Estuary still up for sale.
I still recall when the Estuary was time shared in 1990 and we more or less lost the fishings for the next 21 years.I was gutted.
Hopefully now we will always have decent access to the fishings regardless of who owns them.

Went down for an hour this evening, and just as the tide turned, i was rewarded with my best fish so far this season.
She swam away slowly after a tremendous fight but i think she was ok.

Duncan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #23 on: 26/07/2022 at 22:32 »
Cracking fish, well done.

Eddie

Dave Robb

« Reply #24 on: 26/07/2022 at 22:40 »
Where do you get permits from for the estuary these days, is it still that Audrey Clark in Newburgh?

The pages I’m looking at don’t seem to be the most up to date.

What’s the cost of a permit?

Thanks.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #25 on: 26/07/2022 at 23:03 »
Hi Dave

You have a pm

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #26 on: 27/07/2022 at 02:23 »
She’s a beauty Duncan  :z18

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #27 on: 27/07/2022 at 19:27 »
Cracking fish Duncan.

If the Estuary fishing  rights is for sale I think that may be a positive. Fairly sure it  is USAN that has it and wanted to set up a netting station again. They wanted to harvest a 1000 trout a year.

If they are no longer wanting it. I guess they don’t think that netting is going to start up again. Hopefully 🙏.

If I remember correctly the Dee Don And Ythan boards paid USAN a large fee to keep the nets off.

Ivor

Duncan McRae

« Reply #28 on: 27/07/2022 at 22:21 »
Vintage tackle night on the Estuary tonight :)

Daiwa rod from the 80s and Magnum reel from the early 90s.
Both were once temporary replacements for damaged more modern tackle but they work fine so i've just stuck with them.

Duncan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #29 on: 28/07/2022 at 08:54 »
Duncan,

Nice fish and yes the vintage stuff does work. I used similar rods and reels for years with no issues.

Eddie

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com