Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

River Ythan 2022
« on: 01/03/2022 at 17:08 »
Nice to be back on the river this morning

Robert M-L of this parish tied me up a few local fly patterns for this season. Today’s choice was the Tarves Terror.

Mike Barrio

Re: River Ythan 2022
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/2022 at 17:50 »
Great stuff Andrew - and some cracking photos  :z16

Cheers
Mike

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2022 at 20:18 »
Is the estuary beat still available to fish this year?

I believe it’s still up for sale.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #3 on: 13/06/2022 at 21:50 »
Had a couple of hours fishing the salt water this evening.

Duncan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2022 at 06:50 »
 :z16 cool. I should really try and get across to the estuary again. Makes for a fun session.

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2022 at 19:36 »
Cracking troots Duncan  :z16

They don't seem to be heading out of the salt and up river at the minute. Strange considering the Don is extremely low yet the sea trout are already at Kintore and Ardmurdo  :z8 :z8

On a positive note the Ythan seems stuffed with parr. My last 2 visits i have been plagued by them.   

Duncan McRae

« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2022 at 22:52 »
Probably best fishing the river under cover of darkness concentrating on the deeper pools.
There might be the odd fish creeping upstream.

Had a couple of fish off the Estuary tonight.They seem to be in great condition this year.
I was watching the terns returning to their nests with their bills packed with sand eels.No doubt the trout will be enjoying the sand eels too.

Duncan

Duncan McRae

« Reply #7 on: 25/06/2022 at 22:45 »
Arrived at the Estuary this afternoon with some newly tied streamers and a fishing plan in my head.
I didn't expect the upstream hurricane which greeted me so the fly rod stayed in the car and out came the spinner.
The wind had churned up the water making it very dirty but somehow i managed to winkle out a couple of nice trout on the ever dependable Sutherland.

Duncan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 26/06/2022 at 13:45 »
Nice  :z16

I can see the attraction in the salt in the current conditions. Must have been interesting with the wind down there though  *smiley-tongue-out*

Duncan McRae

« Reply #9 on: 26/06/2022 at 19:23 »
Yes,tough going in the wind Sandy and I really didn't expect to catch anything yesterday.
Even  when I blank on the Estuary I still enjoy fishing here. There's always something interesting going on with the wildlife.

With the rivers so low I won't fish for seatrout as they don't recover well when released, as I've learned from personal experience.
The estuary allows me to have some good summer sport.

Duncan

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #10 on: 05/07/2022 at 12:02 »
I was in a will I go or won’t I go mood yesterday. 

Was not going to go back to the Ythan until the river got a decent flush out. But Duncan said it is worth a go after a small rise.

It was Down to the bones again by last night. But i wanted to see more of the bits I had not fished.

As it turned out the stretch i fished was well sheltered from the wind. And after returning the usual haul of tiddlers it was just about the sea trout golden hour 10pm/11pm . I managed to winkle out a Braw wee Sea Trout.

Hopefully the Start of some decent fishing if we get some decent rain.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #11 on: 05/07/2022 at 22:30 »
Cracker Ivor.
Perseverance has paid off  :z18

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 05/07/2022 at 23:11 »
Nice one  :)

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #13 on: 21/07/2022 at 20:10 »
After a great week on the don before the extra low levels and high water temperatures returned, I’d officially hung up the rod the last few weeks until the rains arrive but my nephew expressed an interest in getting out, so decided the Ythan estuary was overdue a visit.

Headed along initially with him and my brother and we spun the high tide and I fly fished the drop.
The water was murky and a strong westerly made things difficult but a nice fish early for my nephew on a toby and once the conditions improved a real scrapper for me on a white ythan terror. It went airborne then took me straight to my backing which was a surprise given its size but pound for pound these ythan seatrout fairly go some.

Second outing yesterday alone and I tried the south bank as the tide was low which resulted in plenty early action with the finnock liking the fast retrieved terror but the wind was turning against me, so headed upstream and encountered a few more in more sheltered conditions.
Then a quick decision to head over to the north bank and downstream where I discovered the wind had dropped completely and the incoming tide speed was working my fly nicely.
A few more feisty finnock kept things interesting with the occasional bigger fish showing and as the high tide was nearing, I set up the light spinning rod with a toby.

Several casts in and I connected with a beauty that gave me a serious run for my money and with a very interested seal spectating nearby, I finally got it to the net and released safely away from the seal, which dived and bow waved after it but thankfully came up shortly after empty mouthed.

There was a small lull in the action with the seal present but it soon headed off and things picked up again and I surprisingly got another cracker.

A fantastic action packed session which could only have been bettered if one of the big un’s was on the fly but at high tide I’ve learned it can mean you’re pushed to reach the better fish or it gets too murky and lends itself better to spinning.

Once again the Ythan has sufficiently fulfilled my seatrout desires  :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 21/07/2022 at 20:52 »
Great stuff Stevie  >)

Believe it or not, I've fished many stretches of the Ythan over the years, but not the estuary!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com