Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ivor Duffus

Riverwoods Documentary
« on: 15/02/2022 at 10:09 »
Looks interesting but will it achieve anything  :z8.

Showing at Banchory in March. Surely it needs to be on primetime telly to  grab the attention of the whole population and not just folk interested in Angling and Rivers.

From the website: https://www.scotlandbigpicture.com/riverwoods

Throughout Scotland, the fractured connections between salmon and the landscapes through which their rivers flow, are gradually being repaired through the foresight and positive actions of many different people.

This spring, the Riverwoods documentary will embark on a 12-venue screening tour across Scotland, bringing this untold story to life.

Join us for a story of loss, lament and ultimately, hope.

Book your free place: scotlandbigpicture.com/riverwoods

Ivor Duffus

Re: Riverwoods Documentary
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2022 at 11:06 »
I changed the link so that the video displays in your post.

Thanks Mike.

Good improvement.

The P and J are doing a report on the work going on at the Spey. not sure if its out yet but it should be worth a look as well.
They like the Dee will be trying to raise cash for more  improvements.

Great if you have fulltime employees chasing businesses and organizations for cash. But where that does it leave  Cat 3 rivers like the Don where the beats are mostly owned by farmers and leased to angling clubs  :z8.

Ivor 

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #2 on: 07/11/2022 at 13:27 »
This is on freeveiw tonight. 5Select at 8pm. Ch 56.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 07/11/2022 at 20:02 »
I'm watching...

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 08/11/2022 at 09:27 »
I watched it some weeks ago, Duncan Pepper is an acquaintance and shared an advance copy with me.
It is a thought-provoking and very well put together production, in some ways perhaps slightly narrow in scope, but a good piece of work  :z16

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #5 on: 08/11/2022 at 11:12 »
Interesting documentary. Well worth a watch.

I did wonder at the end if it was really about the Salmon decline or pushing the rewilding agenda. Am sure a little rewilding would a good thing the Don has that already during the summer months at Monymusk and Castle Forbes

I will watch with interest to see if the Dee reintroduce beavers 🦫. The pools at Invercauld and Balmoral blocked up with fallen trees and the streams full of dams.

Interestingly if you read the Dee boards  article on a possible hatchery for the Dee. The Don has same article. It’s all very negative on hatcheries. However when you watch Riverwoods you have to exterminate the Red Deer, plant millions of trees, reintroduce beavers 🦫, and reintroduce lynx to keep the Roe Deer population under control.

Basically the land has to return to the way it was 300 years ago for Salmon to bounce back. I think that could take a while.  In the meantime the Dee would still like you to part with a £100 for a days casting practice.

Hmm 🤔

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 08/11/2022 at 11:54 »
the most shocking thing for me is that i think of the barren Scottish landscape as 'natural' - when of course it is not. It should be covered in trees, like in Canada.

I felt like what was not mentioned was that canada also has issues with fewer salmon these days....but i suppose its not nearly as bad as here.

Hatcheries and ranching work in Iceland so why not here ? I really just don't get the position of the Dee and Don boards....

In terms of rewilding would the general public be happy with the introduction of 'apex predators'  like the lynx ? That leaves the option of shooting millions of deer so that they cant destroy small trees. Personally I'd be more than happy to buy cheap venison but i think a lot of people would object.

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: 10/01/2023 at 17:17 »
If it is the same Riverwoods I watched was not impressed with it. One of the biggest problems on the rivers that I fish is goosanders, which are eating thousands of parr and other small fish, this got a two second mention. At near the end it showed you some roe deer and how they were damaging the trees and wanted lynx reintroduced. Beavers are going to sort out all the problems??
Bob.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com