Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: River Don 2022
« Reply #60 on: 24/04/2022 at 21:21 »
Great stuff Steven, good effort in the conditions this weekend  :z16 ...... water was warming up nicely too *smiley-unhappy*

Mick Reid

« Reply #61 on: 25/04/2022 at 08:00 »
Sounds like you had a fantastic trip Mick.
Your timing was pretty good as the river has fished well this week. *smiley-yippee*

We all had a good trip Sandy and enjoyed the Kemnay section.  Were back up again on the weekend of the  7th of May ( trying two different sections this time) so hoping the water warms up a bit and the wind is taking a day off.
Nothing beats a fishing trip away  and a beer or two at the end of the day.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #62 on: 25/04/2022 at 17:08 »
They've arrived  :)

Always good to see the first flurries of the season!

Michael Kearney

« Reply #63 on: 25/04/2022 at 18:59 »
They certainly have, Mike. My first day fishing the Don today after spending Saturday and Sunday walking some beats to familiarise myself with the river while shivering in cold winds. Today felt a little warmer. When I arrived at about 11am I saw Olive Uprights emerging and trout rising. A very strong emergence of March Browns started at about 2pm and fish continued to feed on top until about 3pm. I caught several good fish on my own tie of Sandy’s original CDC Spider. The fish have noticeable blue/grey colouration behind and below the eye, as is apparent in many photos posted on this forum. I like this river.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #64 on: 25/04/2022 at 21:12 »
Great stuff Michael, good to read that you found some activity and that you're enjoying your time on the river  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #65 on: 26/04/2022 at 09:46 »
Well Friday fished well with a sporadic hatch of March Browns from 12 to about 1

One of them was the fish I had last Thursday, the difference in light makes it look like a different fish, but the spots are identical. Shows sensitive catch and release works

DHE in a 12 was the desired fly for the first 2/3rds of the hatch , then they started to ignore it

The last 1/3 of the rise was very spotty with a few fish picking up cripples so the CDC spider came back out

The bright afternoon didn’t bother them and the water temp was at 11 degrees so all was good

Saturday was different, the wind changed and was downstream and cooler. I saw one rising fish and he took a Spider.

Monday the water temp was down to 8/9degrees again and a touch of colour but there were hatches all day, early on some olives and then sparse March browns

Some smaller but pretty fish started to feed mid afternoon when there were some really small Large darks hatching

However then there was a great hatch of uprights at 3ish and that seemed to bring a good few up to the top

Prettiest fly of the year and based on the fish, possibly the tastiest too. Here’s hoping the water temp comes back up a bit this week and then the river will just explode

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #66 on: 28/04/2022 at 13:30 »
Back to work for a couple of days rest before the next weeks  >)

So the last couple of days saw a few challenges

The OUs came off in small bursts from 10am through till 2pm

They continued through till 4.30 with some of the better flurries after 3 and some really nice fish showing late on

The odd sipper still taking the cdc spider at the end of the hatch. Although during the day 3 out 4 fish ignored any artificial where the other fish took first time. Go figure.

Wednesdays bright sun made for a really testing day with some cool beasties about

Hares and deer too, the fish however were more elusive. Resorting to a wee nymph produce a few from runs but you can’t be as selective on size  *smiley-tongue-out*

There were fish taking olives in small pods here and there and one or two succumbed to the dry

So another totally different day down to wind direction and sunshine. The hatches are becoming pretty consistent with OUs and the odd March brown, plenty LDOs and even a good few spinners on the water. We also saw the first hawthorns of the year too.
Lots of food to get them up when the clouds hide the big bright ball in the sky. So roll on Monday  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #67 on: 30/04/2022 at 16:07 »
Cracking pics Sandy, and things are looking promising for May - fingers crossed  :z16

Steven Kidd

« Reply #68 on: 30/04/2022 at 21:37 »
Hello,

I went out with my new rod today, and a fine fishing tool it is, :-)

A strange day hatch wise.....11am through to 1pm very sparse dottling of olive upwings, much better hatch at 3pm but was quickly curtailed by a fair wind and the start of the rain.

I only saw the one fish rise  the whole day...., covered the fish with my clyde style team and the fish took my teal and black on the point.....I put it down to a wee fish, but then it jumped out the water and it was certainly decent......battle ensued with more heartstopping jumps and leaps and then I landed this one, :-)......(landing them is the hard part for me)

Never seen another fish the whole day.

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #69 on: 30/04/2022 at 22:21 »
Great stuff Steven  :)

Steven Kidd

« Reply #70 on: 30/04/2022 at 23:36 »
Cheers Mike,

I've not managed to land on the right day at the right time yet.....limited to Saturdays at the moment........a few days holiday might be needed in May!, :-)

Steven

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #71 on: 01/05/2022 at 08:02 »
took my teal and black on the point

Making me wonder about Hawthorns already, we did see a few on Wednesday

Good news that the new rod is lucky *smiley-yippee*

Steven Kidd

« Reply #72 on: 01/05/2022 at 09:06 »
Making me wonder about Hawthorns already, we did see a few on Wednesday

Good news that the new rod is lucky *smiley-yippee*

Yep, I saw a few also, hence the thinking......I had a Hen Blackie on the dropper to imitate the uprights.

Steven

Allan Liddle

« Reply #73 on: 01/05/2022 at 09:15 »
Hi All

Good to see cracking fish.
Seems Don is suffering same as Deveron and Spey at the moment with very sparse, unpredictable to non-existent hatches and rock hard fishing.

Odd days are really good but it's a case of long days, long wanders and hard searching just now.
Rewards are good when you find the fish though  *smiley-grin*

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #74 on: 07/05/2022 at 08:17 »
I’ve had a mate up from down south this week.
The river has been very tricky but we have had some good fishing.

We covered several beats until we found some pods of fish.

Fly soup for most days, with LDO’s and OU’s hatching in reasonable amounts for most of the days in the early part of the week

Wednesday saw the start of grannoms appearing but every fish seemed to be after something different so lots of changing flies

The rest of the week was more of the same, every time the sun came out the grannoms would hatch and the fish were hitting the pupa and occasional fly

So on top of the LDOs and OUs, we also had Large Brook duns , grannom, hawthorn and some other small sedges. Lots of spinners too. I caught a pair of Brook Spinners at it in the grass

So conditions are good, but be prepared to chop and change and cover a fish multiple times before they decide they want your fly. The Smolt hatch isn’t helping, they seem to be putting the trout off their game as usual

So we had a few good fish for the week but we had to work for them, which makes it all the more interesting

Hopefully the rain freshens things up a little next week and helps the smolts off to sea leaving the big browns to go back to eating flies

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com