Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stevie Rennie

Re: River Don 2022
« Reply #30 on: 10/04/2022 at 20:15 »
The Kemnay association stretch used to be great, lightly fished but I’m going back a good few years since I fished it last.

It has a bit of everything in its short length and can be covered well in a day, mostly field type banks with easy wading in some areas. The lower end seemed better suited to spinning with the mid section and above nice fly water.

Parking near the top of the beat is advised and a walk straight down the field should bring you to interesting water. Typical don flies should be abundant in may afternoon hatches but if nothings doing, stick on a greenwells spider and ptn and you’ll get plenty action.

Every chance of a late spring salmon/ early grilse too, I recall catching 5 backenders one evening from the exact same spot while they were running and the guy just downstream of me was into double figures. Sadly those days of abundance appear to be gone for good but there’s a few still running the don in may nonetheless.

Let us know how it goes, I’d like to give it a visit this year :z16

Matt Hart

« Reply #31 on: 12/04/2022 at 09:57 »
Kemnay angling club have the south bank, upstream from the bridge at the fetternear estate car park, and a small stretch of the north bank a little further up. If you scroll down this page to "Arrival information and directions" you can see the beat map: https://www.fishpal.com/Scotland/Don/KemnayAnglingClub/

In the image I've attached, Kemnay AC water is highlighted in green, and highlighted in red is ADAA's, Fetternear Estate's & I think maybe some Monymusk Estate's water. Anyone feel free to correct me if I have any of that wrong  :z18

James Laraway

« Reply #32 on: 12/04/2022 at 13:08 »
I was a member of kemnay back in the day. The top pool is the coffee pot so I'd park at the top of the beat as previously advised.

If the water is know enough you can cross the river at the tail of the coffee pot ( or you could! ) and fish the opposite bank if you want.

Then walk down stream...

Most of my salmon I got in the coffee pot. Also saw trout up to 6lb landed there.....

Mick Reid

« Reply #33 on: 14/04/2022 at 18:01 »
Many thanks Gentlemen.  Four of us looking forward to our day on Saturday.  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #34 on: 14/04/2022 at 20:29 »
Let us know how you get on !

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #35 on: 14/04/2022 at 20:36 »
If it’s similar to today, find some slightly shallower water and wait for the March browns. Top end of the Kemnay beat should be ideal.
1.30-3pm for a superb hatch and decent rise.
Inverurie produced today despite being 60cm high and just 7 degrees

Size 10 DHE and CDC spider  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #36 on: 17/04/2022 at 17:05 »
Well today rounded of a rather good week for me. 100% of the fish on dries between the DHE and CDC spider.

The water temp was up between 10 and 11degrees today and the hatch started early at around 11

Fortunately I went down a little earlier today so caught it nicely, there was about 2hrs of sport with the March Brown’s coming off in waves

First of the day was the best of the week and was a healthy, if a little lean,  23” and led me a merry dance Down a Set of rapids and round a tree before I got him to the net

It was followed by another couple of crackers to take the weeks tally of trophies to 5.

So it’s been a pretty damn good week *smiley-yippee* some super fish feeding and although the wind has not been entirely Co-operative it’s been good fun and very rewarding. It really feels like the season has properly started

Mike Barrio

« Reply #37 on: 17/04/2022 at 17:58 »
Great stuff Sandy, some cracking fish to get your season off to a good start  :z16

Steven Kidd

« Reply #38 on: 17/04/2022 at 19:36 »
Crackers Sandy!...........good to bump into you today, :-)

Steven

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #39 on: 17/04/2022 at 20:06 »
Nice one, hopefully there’s still plenty march browns about when I get back from offshore.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #40 on: 17/04/2022 at 21:02 »
Should be a week or so away from the olive uprights starting to appear, then things will be even better  :z16

Mick Reid

« Reply #41 on: 17/04/2022 at 21:31 »
What an absolute pleasure it was to fish this section of the Don.  The information given by all you  gentlemen was spot on. Good advice to park at the top end of the stretch.  We arrived around 9am to be greeted by the river warden / bailiff for a permit check,  always a good sign in my eyes. The first fish of around 2lb was taken about half an hour later on a scruffy nymph. A couple of us then took a wander right down to the bridge with one fish caught in between.
We made our way back up and around 11.30 a rise started so quickly on to the March browns. Within a couple of hours we had another 5 or 6 fish between us between 3 and 5lb. The wind then picked up and the rise was gone until a late flurry around 3.30 and another couple caught and one absolute stonker reckoned to be around the 7lb mark was hooked and lost.
Its always nice to fish a new river and do a bit exploring so a planned trip is getting arranged for next month .
 :z16 :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #42 on: 18/04/2022 at 06:09 »
Sounds like you had a fantastic trip Mick.
Your timing was pretty good as the river has fished well this week. *smiley-yippee*

Filip Adamcio

« Reply #43 on: 19/04/2022 at 09:40 »
Two of the best fish caught on the nymph yesterday. Inverurie Burgh.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #44 on: 19/04/2022 at 09:57 »
Nice fish Filip, saw your video on the IAA Facebook page  :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com