Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Re: River Don 2022
« Reply #90 on: 23/05/2022 at 12:21 »
there is an imposter on the forum ! The 'real Sandy' would never have a keeper ring on his rod.....

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #91 on: 23/05/2022 at 15:42 »
there is an imposter on the forum ! The 'real Sandy' would never have a keeper ring.

*smiley-lol* *smiley-lol* *smiley-lol*

Funnily enough, I don’t seem to notice this one, I think the rod is so light my hand sits further back on the grip so it doesn’t annoy me  :X2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #92 on: 24/05/2022 at 09:14 »
Great stuff Sandy, nice pics and lots of useful info for anybody that's on the water  :z16

Steven Kidd

« Reply #93 on: 24/05/2022 at 21:04 »
Nice one Sandy, great that the evenings are starting to be productive.  I was planning a trip out Friday evening after work but......I have a date with my wife to see Downton Abbey at the cinema... *smiley-lol*

Steven

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #94 on: 30/05/2022 at 16:44 »
An interesting weekend between evenings and afternoons. Lots of flies for the fish to choose from

Large Brook duns

Large dark olives

Yellow mays

Olive uprights

And the trouts all time favourite the Iron Blue Dun

Plus the spinners of all the above made for interesting fly choice, especially when most of them seem to be taking different flies and stages. That’s not to mention the several sizes of sedge and the gnats and hawthorns, etc! *smiley-shocking*

This guy had the often seen scarring on the nose we see during May and June

The iron blues were definitely the preferred food and some of the tiny dimple rises were surprising fish

I got properly smashed up by a real bruiser that hit a size 16 cdc emerger and then ran away from me just as I struck, all the holes in the Swiss cheese lined up and I got my ass handed to me, but it was a rush.  *smiley-tongue-out*

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #95 on: 30/05/2022 at 20:05 »
Some cracking fish you and Steve have been catching Sandy. Hoping for a few days on the river this week and your pics and reports have served as inspiration while working away.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #96 on: 31/05/2022 at 16:49 »
Lots of small dark olives coming off last night I managed a better photo

The fish were still happy with an Iron Blue spinner, this guy had another scabby nose.

This afternoon however was something special, but not for the fish. I have seen one of these once before but today I managed to catch one on the Don

Ephemera Danica and easily 2.5” long

So we have proper mayfly on the Don, here’s hoping the population grows, has to be a cracking meal for a big fish

Mike Barrio

« Reply #97 on: 31/05/2022 at 17:11 »
Awesome - great to see  >)

Steven Kidd

« Reply #98 on: 01/06/2022 at 10:20 »
Superb Sandy, Danica also known as Green Drake?

That is just brilliant to see, have you seen these before on the Don?

Steven

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #99 on: 01/06/2022 at 11:57 »
I saw one once before, further upstream, it was flying and I couldn’t catch it for a photo to confirm.
This time I watched it hatch and was able to get it and let it dry out on my rod while I got some photos.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #100 on: 02/06/2022 at 11:50 »
Great evening session on the river last night, first proper one for me this season  :)

Couldn't have asked for more fly life, the menu was about as varied as it comes, and as the sun dipped - the trout were keen to take advantage!

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #101 on: 03/06/2022 at 15:27 »
Much the same for me last night, relentless for the last hour and although geared up for seatrout, I managed a few feisty brownies on a sedgehog.

I met a couple of forum members on the bank earlier and had a pleasant chat, hoping they stayed around for the late night action.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #102 on: 05/06/2022 at 22:45 »
Hello,

Saturday night after the scorcher of a day the trout took a while to show themselves where I was.  Then the temperature dropped very quickly with a haar moving upstream around the time I was expecting the sedges to come on.  There were no sedges or splashy rises....rather olive upwings and very discreet rises.  I targeted this trout, (aka, Trout Gun), whom was head and tailing and moving around the head of a pool in fairly fast water.  Took a while but got there in the end with the right cast in the right place with a size 16 CDC Olive Dun. :-)

Steven

Filip Adamcio

« Reply #103 on: 09/06/2022 at 11:01 »
Hi
Excellent day on the lower section of Don.
I caught 3 nice fish on the nymph.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #104 on: 09/06/2022 at 11:09 »
Great stuff Filip, nice fish  :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com