Re: River Don 2022
« Reply #45 on: 19/04/2022 at 16:15 »
Those are in great condition Filip.
Nice one  :z16

Filip Adamcio

« Reply #46 on: 19/04/2022 at 19:50 »
Thanks guys.
All fish I caught on the nymph patterns. A few  were rising but they didn't want my dry patterns(I need to tie a march brown size 10 or even 8)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #47 on: 19/04/2022 at 19:51 »
(I need to tie a march brown size 10 or even 8)

For sure :z16 I’ve been on size 10’s all week

Steven Kidd

« Reply #48 on: 19/04/2022 at 19:54 »
Thanks guys.
All fish I caught on the nymph patterns. A few  were rising but they didn't want my dry patterns(I need to tie a march brown size 10 or even 8)

I had exactly the same experience on Sunday...size 14 just were not cutting it......GO BIG OR GO HOME,  *smiley-lol*

Steven

James Laraway

« Reply #49 on: 19/04/2022 at 22:29 »
I've been saying that for years.  Anything less than a size 10 is for catching minnows 😆

I had exactly the same experience on Sunday...size 14 just were not cutting it......GO BIG OR GO HOME,  *smiley-lol*

Steven

Philippe Erieau

« Reply #50 on: 21/04/2022 at 13:34 »
Hi 
Thanks for welcoming me on this forum.
I'm french and have been fishing the Don for trout on several occasions for the last ten years, mainly Monymusk, with some few days at Castle Forbes, as well as below Kemnay and Alford (sorry but i don't remember the beat names).
I'll be in Aberdeenshire on next may for my annual Dee trip (covid time excepted!) but I'll surely take some time for fishing the Don for trout.
Although I love dry fly fishing and intend to fish the dry as much as I can on my next trip, I enjoy a lot fishing actively big streamers for brown trout, in particular galloup style articulated ones (3-4 inches long), at the end of a short but strong 10 lb tippet. I know that the reward might be a salmon but that's not what I'm targeting.
Furthermore, in my memories, in the fishing regulation of the beats I've fished, there was some limitations on the tippet strength for trout fishing (I suppose to prevent people fishing for salmon arguing they're fishing for trout).
So my concerns are the following: 1) if I come and fish the Don with a big articulated streamer, at the end of a strong tippet, will it be allowed and do I need to get a salmon permit? 2) Moreover would it be allowed on a sunday?
Please excuse my poor english and sorry for this long first  thread. 
I just don't want to be considered as a poacher when visiting your mighty river (It don't even remember the last time I kept a fish for the dinner)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #51 on: 21/04/2022 at 14:33 »
Hi Philippe

I sometimes fish small articulated streamers (in the right conditions) and they are well within most beats rules, but check the tickets first just in case.
I've seen me using 9.5 and 10lb tippet for dries with big sedges sometimes and i've not noticed any beats where there is a breaking strain limit.
What i would say is, if you are fishing your streamers on a switch rod or any kind of double hander, then on a Sunday there will be questions asked.
Otherwise there is nothing to stop you fishing  streamer on a Sunday, even if it seem sacrilidge and probably shouldn't be allowed as its not really in keeping with the Sunday fly fishing for trout concession, but that's just the personal opinion of someone who prefers the dryfly *smiley-tongue-out*

Sandy

Philippe Erieau

« Reply #52 on: 21/04/2022 at 16:04 »
Hi Sandy

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

What i would say is, if you are fishing your streamers on a switch rod or any kind of double hander, then on a Sunday there will be questions asked.
I will not, i'll stick to my 9ft 6wt and a full sinker. Perhaps the stripping backet would make questions asked

Otherwise there is nothing to stop you fishing  streamer on a Sunday, even if it seem sacrilidge and probably shouldn't be allowed as its not really in keeping with the Sunday fly fishing for trout concession, but that's just the personal opinion of someone who prefers the dryfly *smiley-tongue-out*

My main intent is to fish the dry fly as most as I can and with sight nymphing it will always be my favorite fly fishing method.
But then nothing happens near the surface  as it can occur often on the Don,  streamer fishing is a method I enjoy as much and even more than nymphing.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #53 on: 21/04/2022 at 16:08 »
streamer fishing is a method I enjoy as much and even more than nymphing.
Agreed  :z16 me too. There are a few guys who use a stripping basket even when dryfly fishing so that’s not unusual.

Fred Hay

« Reply #54 on: 22/04/2022 at 05:45 »
An interesting discussion and I'll need to check but I seem to recall something in the legislation covering brown trout angling that the maximum line weight/tippet was 6lb breaking strain.

I'm sure that this was/is the maximum with which an angler could use and still claim he was fishing for trout above that it was considered he was fishing for salmon.
But to be fair I can't recall this ever being stipulated on a fishing permit.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #55 on: 22/04/2022 at 12:44 »
Hi Philippe  :z16

The Sunday fishing part of this question is a tricky one ........ personally, on a Sunday, I stick to light tactics that cannot be mistaken for anything other than brown trout fishing.

Cheers
Mike

Philippe Erieau

« Reply #56 on: 22/04/2022 at 13:09 »
Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.
that was my thoughts. I just don't want to be another one of these bl**dy french who don't respect the rules (that's one of our national specialty with wine and cheese).
I'll stick to 'classic' trout fishing if I come fishing on a sunday.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #57 on: 24/04/2022 at 12:38 »
Hi Philippe

It makes no difference if you are a visitor or local  *smiley-grin*  and we do like a bit of cheese and wine here too  :)

The policy of allowing trout fishing on a Sunday is a fairly recent thing on the Don ( a policy that was not without opponents ) and I think it simply makes sense to be careful that there can be no confusion regarding the tactics that we use on a Sunday.

I hope you enjoy your trip, May is a great month to be on both rivers :z16

Steven Kidd

« Reply #58 on: 24/04/2022 at 18:58 »
Hello, :-)

Managed a couple of days on the River yesterday and today, less than ideal conditions, (it is freezing!), with a pest of a wind from the North.  Never seen a hatch of any sort.......but did manage to catch some fish *smiley-yippee*.

Nothing this week on the dry fly, all on swing soft hackle spiders, best one a bonny fish of 14in.  Happy, :-).  Perseverance was key this weekend.

Photos, next report I promise.....waiting on a new phone and I hear work are giving me an Iphone12......(and they're apparently waterproof,  *smiley-lol*)

P.S. Remember in tough conditions.....the only way you most definitely wont catch a fish is if you stay at home.

Steven

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #59 on: 24/04/2022 at 21:06 »
Good effort Steven, perseverance always pays off.

No trout for me for a couple of weeks, off to the states on Tuesday for a couple of weeks.

Eddie

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com