Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Re: Highland lochs 2022
« Reply #15 on: 29/06/2022 at 10:00 »
what a contrast to last year Terry when there was virtually no wind and boiling weather- and this year you were almost blown off the water !

James Laraway

« Reply #16 on: 03/09/2022 at 17:51 »
So it has been very quiet on the fishing front for me this year but i got out today in the tube, destination a loch near Fort Augustus
I was meant to go yesterday but illness put paid to that so saturday it was. Sadly the wind was up but i was hopeful

Set sail in the tube and was quickly into a fish, about 8" or so. A nice start as the loch is not one that gives you a lot of trout. However the next one was much better and after a good scrap I had a lovely fish in the net.

Due to the wind i was trying to stay in the sheltered bays and in the next bay a popped out a lure over the weed and into deeper water ( the water shelves very quickly) and was quickly met by good resistance and another lovely trout.

Ended up with 8 for my day - including 2 very nice ones (for this water anyway)  so I was well happy

A few photos

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 03/09/2022 at 18:32 »
Great stuff James  :z16

Bonnie fish, lots of spots and yellow bellies  :)

Alex Russell

« Reply #18 on: 04/09/2022 at 12:16 »
Nice one James hopefully be able to join you next time, a timeless week on the Findhorn last week no water, now it's raining, that's what I get trying to catch a silver yin, should stick to the trout👍

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #19 on: 04/09/2022 at 23:44 »
Good to see you’re back in about the action James, some bonnie plump bellied fish there  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #20 on: 05/09/2022 at 15:56 »
lets do something before the season is out....

Nice one James hopefully be able to join you next time, a timeless week on the Findhorn last week no water, now it's raining, that's what I get trying to catch a silver yin, should stick to the trout👍

James Laraway

« Reply #21 on: 02/10/2022 at 20:35 »
So I had my last trip of the season after the wildies on Saturday before the season closed ( it was meant to be friday but the weather was absolutely wild !) - so I headed off down to Fort Augustus again with the float tube.

It was about a 10 min walk to my 'launch point' - so i tried out my new carrying straps. What am amazing difference. Comfy ,secure and no slipping off your shoulders. If you float tube i would highly recommend getting some 'proper' straps ( they were < £20 !)

Started with a fast sinking line and was into a smallish fish in about 2 mins from my start. Game on thinks me. 25mins later no more fish so i struggle on with a couple of tentative offers. The weather is 'changeable' - nice and sunny one minute, then blowing a hooley and tipping it down the next. I stop for lunch ( only started at 11am) and decide to change to my new Smallstream 2 #8
My 'new' rod is a Haldin #7 8ft glass. It cast the #6 SLX ok ( 13.6 g) so i opted to buy the #8 SS as it weighs the same as the #6SLX
I change flies to a pink tailed grouse ordie on the dropper and a marabou and angelina fibre baitfish on the point ( as the trout love a lure on this loch)
I pop out a wee cast while i pull more line from the reel. The flies are about 3m out where there is a drop-off. No sooner do they land than a trout head and tails for the grouse ordie and a lovely golden trout is landed. First cast with my new line and I get a fish - doesn't get much better than that !
I head back along the bay i had just fished with the sinker but now with the SS floater - with very different results. I get fish after fish and I'm soon up to 7 fish - all on the pink tailed grouse ordie!
Its time to head back along the bank to the car . Normally i dont fish the bay on the way back to the car - but this time i thought i would so I paddled back casting close to the shore
Within 5 casts a fish comes to the dropper and misses. I stop my retrieve then the line pulls tight - fish on.
I see it down about 5 ft  twisting and turning ( the loch is very clear) - its  a good 'un
Best fish I've has from the loch and boy is it fat.
Sadly the photos dont really do it justice ( but it was starting to rain and i wanted to get the fish back)

Have to say i love the Smallstream 2 line. It was my first session with it and its performed excellently - especially when on the Haldin 78 - which I have to say is an absolute WEAPON of a rod and is perfect for throwing my favourite sort of flies ( flugglies)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 03/10/2022 at 00:05 »
Great stuff James, I'm really chuffed that you like the new Smallstream line  :z16

Nice fish  >)

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #23 on: 04/10/2022 at 13:48 »
Nice report, rod and fish James  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com