Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ivor Duffus

Fly tying magnification
« on: 08/02/2022 at 14:54 »
Just about to try and have a go at fly tying.

I need +1.5 for reading. and +3 for knots with trout tippets.

just wondering what i will need for fly tying. And if the headband magnifying gadgets  are better than standard glasses  :z8

Ivor

James Laraway

Re: Fly tying magnification
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/2022 at 16:08 »
Like you I now have  to use reading glasses so a  +1.5 for reading and use a +2 for fly tying and find that works just fine for me - but i don't tie flies much smaller than a 12

( quite why anyone wants use a fly smaller than a 12 boggles my mind  *smiley-lol*)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2022 at 16:35 »
( quite why anyone wants use a fly smaller than a 12 boggles my mind  *smiley-lol*)

Size 14 flies rule  *smiley-grin*

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #3 on: 08/02/2022 at 17:34 »
Like you I now have  to use reading glasses so a  +1.5 for reading and use a +2 for fly tying and find that works just fine for me - but i don't tie flies much smaller than a 12

Thanks James

Mostly for sea trout so nothing smaller than a 10.  See how i get on with my +3.

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 09/02/2022 at 10:11 »
Big fly/big fish Mike  *smiley-lol*

Size 14 flies rule  *smiley-grin*

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 09/02/2022 at 11:49 »
Big fly/big fish Mike  *smiley-lol*

You went to the same school of fly fishing as Hamish then  *smiley-grin*

Yep, I'd probably agree with you on a loch James, but the Don fish do seem to have a preference for a 14.

Cheers
MIke

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 09/02/2022 at 12:01 »
 *smiley-lol*

Terry Coging

« Reply #7 on: 09/02/2022 at 16:20 »
Still waiting to get on a big Loch in a big wave to try some small birds tied by Hamish  >)

Hamish Young

Re: Fly tying magnification New
« Reply #8 on: 10/02/2022 at 07:07 »
Damn good school it was too  *smiley-yippee*

Yep, I'd probably agree with you on a loch James, but the Don fish do seem to have a preference for a 14.
Interesting. As I was thinking about this I found it a wee bit strange to get my head around the fact that my 'early' years on the Upper Don are very nearly 30 years ago  *smiley-shocking* Back then my early season flies would have been 10's and 12's moving to smaller sizes into the spring proper. Always something of a surprise, spring in Strathdon is usually between 11am and 12:30 pm on the last Thursday in April, summer follows for two weeks before autumn starts for a short afternoon and winter begins again. Anyway, come summer, I'd be on 12's down to 16's and I'd concur that a 14 would be the most likely size in use.

Still waiting to get on a big Loch in a big wave to try some small birds tied by Hamish  >)
I need to get out on a loch myself this year with the dap. Roll on the season  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com