Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Talk by the River Dee Trust
« on: 19/02/2008 at 09:14 »
Was in the pub in Banchory last night when i heard that there was a talk at the church hall by Adrian Hudson, one of the biologists from the Dee Trust...so I went along.

Very very informative and he was very open about what they are doing and why. He gave a real insite into why they closed the hatchery at Dinnet, there attitude towards put and take fisheries and coarse fish and to poaching and what they can legally do about it.

The most supprising thing for me was that the Trust have no issue with Pike and Perch. They realise they have been in the likes of Callater and Kinord for upto 200 years and they are now part of the natural environment and therefore a valuble asset to the area. He also recognised that they help thin out weaker smolts and therefore directly help improve Salmon genetics :)

I also asked about Aboyne and the coarse fish in there...his respponse was that it made the Trust nervous (understandable) but agreed with me that IF roach or whatever got into the Dee there chance of survival and reproduction was next to impossible.

He then went on about Rainbows (sorry Mike) and said that he was infact more worried about Rainbow trout being within the catchment area as they are carriers of GS, will feed on salmon eggs and parr and are agressive enough to push sea Trout and smaller salmon off the redds.

If any of you get the chance to go to one of his talks, then go, very informative and some cracking pictures, especially of a large Cock fish and 4 females at Leggat Terrace taken by Diver Dave. Very impressive indeed!!

Hamish Young

Re: Talk by the River Dee Trust
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2008 at 09:21 »
Pity I missed that, I suspect in part this would have been a talk about the new approach to river basin management (which all DSFB/Trusts now have to face up to) so I hope they'll be doing more..... might get a pointer or two  :wink

Dave Gordon

« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2008 at 22:46 »
Rob/ Hamish

You are quite correct, Pike and Perch are no issue to the trust, indeed the Culter burn system, which we would like to open up, holds these and as native fish have a reason / right to be in the system.
Adrian is a vast bank of knowledge, quite excellent. And if he says it is so then he will be right.
Rainbows are not an issue on this catchment, at the moment, but we keep a watching eye, and it is our duty to do so.
Equally, I share Adrians views on non native species in the Dee catchment, we are doing ok without them, lets not compound any problems and keep them out.
Get to one of Adrians talks, he is excellent and very interesting to listen to.
River management and community liason is what trusts do, and we support the whole catchment.
Anyway, please support the River Dee Trust, it is working to develop and promote the whole Dee system. (advert over)

D

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2008 at 23:22 »
Dave, they have my vote, thats for sure!!
Interested in what you say about the Culter burn. I fished there, above the dam, when I first moved up. Had plenty of Jacks which I presume have moved down from Skene. I had a look about 8 months ago and it was FULL of minnows!! I did not know there were Perch in there...interesting!

Have never understood why there are no Perch in Skene.

Dave Gordon

« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2008 at 06:55 »
Hi Rob

There used to be good perch in both Skene and Garlogie, but i have not seen one for years. However as both have been drained in recent times I would expect they have been washed downstream.
Both pike and perch are occasionally caught in the Dee, but are killed every time i would guess.

D

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 20/02/2008 at 07:24 »
When I was a wee lad we used to regularly fish for Eels on the Dee.
On what is now the ADAA water opposite the Pump House at Leggart there is a water outlet yards downstream of the shingle ' beach' and there we discovered & caught quite a few Perch (all small).

My fishing partner at the time also hooked and lost two Jack Pike on a toby in that viccinity.

I also hooked a 'flattie' 100 yards upstream of the 'Fine Fare Bridge' - now that's how long ago it was!

Also have seen two large Lampreys approx. 2' - 3' (but this is with a childs memory)

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 20/02/2008 at 08:51 »
Dave, in the 23 years I have fished Skene I have never seen a Perch..amazing huh? I have fished "perch" methods there and never even had a nibble (except from Brownies ;)) I remember it well when it was drained, and at the time, theat would have been the death nail for any Perch.

As for Garlogie, when that was drained I rememebr seeing vast shoals of what looked like Roach from the top of the dam wall. Never did get close enough to confirm, but i do know Roach were introduced into the Dam in the early 80's from the River Tay (before I moved to Scotland before anyone points the finger..lol  :z4) The River Tay fish were moved all over Angus and Fife, sometimes they survived, sometimes they didn't.

puddock

« Reply #7 on: 20/03/2008 at 16:30 »
I remember fishing for pike and perch in the Mill Dam at Culter. I also caught a very occassional Perch below the sluice of the dam (under the Rob Roy statue). Never caught a perch above the Dam (Leuchar Burn) but caught a couple of Jack Pike and a 3 1/2 lb Brownie !

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com