Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Competition rules?
« on: 23/01/2022 at 11:01 »
I've just been checking out the rules for 'Loch Style' competitions.
I am not a competition person ( fished a few for social reasons) but needed to see what the rules were about rods.
It seems that 12' is the maximum length allowed! I wonder why? So, my 15' wafter would be illegal.
No proper dapping would be possible either. So much for tradition!

Hamish Young

Re: Competition rules?
« Reply #1 on: 23/01/2022 at 14:21 »
The rules of competition fishing are intriguing, with many rules probably born from where someone gained an advantage. Competition rules Loch Style excludes dapping, mainly on fly size, but also in the interpretation of what is/is not a fly line and what is/is not running/shooting line. Rod length is a thing, but I have used rods of 12' or less to dap - albeit its not an optimal approach, it works.
IMHO 'loch style' is not so much about the traditions or tactics directly associated with the approach we might take to a days loch fishing but more a derivative of one particular facet of the sport into a competitive clique.

Terry Coging

Re: Competition rules?
« Reply #2 on: 28/01/2022 at 16:19 »
Looking a bit closer at Loch Style competition rules it says no weighted flies, no shooting lines?
That leaves a lot to interpretation in these days of integrated shooting heads and bead head everythings?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com