Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Just seen this post online. Seems legit. The rumour mill suggests they’re also stopping their “£25 off when you spend £50” deals on tackle, which was always helpful for stocking up on tippet etc

Dave Robb

Re: Orvis to close all UK stores (apart from Stockbridge)
« Reply #1 on: 16/01/2022 at 21:29 »
https://thestrayferret.co.uk/harrogate-country-sports-shop-orvis-set-to-close/

Seems to be true.  They’re a company who really need to decide where they want to be and this might be the change that’s required.  A refocus on tackle would be a good thing.

Too much clothing for sale, a lot of which seems overpriced.  I’ve not seen the £25 off £50 for tackle in ages.  I used to take advantage fairly regularly but in recent times you’ve either had to spend more to get a discount or it’s been on clothing only.

To be fair I don’t think I’ve bought anything from them since the Banchory store closed.

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 17/01/2022 at 13:44 »
seems very odd.

Everytime, I visit an Orvis shop is it clear where the focus is, and its not on fishing tackle - and now they want to close their stores to concentrate on fishing tackle ?

Something strikes me as 'not quite right'

A real shame for the UK high street and for all those working in the shops....

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 17/01/2022 at 16:38 »
I hear that in the US the quality of clothing did not live up to the price tag.
So, back to core products.

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 17/01/2022 at 20:20 »
I have a long history with Orvis and although I stepped away from their Orvis Endorsed Guide programme when the Banchory store closed, I have maintained relationships with many people in the organisation. So I am aware that this sad news is indeed 'gospel' and all the UK stores other than Stockbridge are to close, with the loss of jobs that until just a few weeks ago probably seemed reasonably secure.
It is a shame, especially as there is some truth in what James says - somehow Orvis UK has been confused in its brand identity with the focus seemingly on many things other than fishing for some time.
Mission creep (and no, that's not a casting fault with a new Orvis Salmon rod  *smiley-tongue-out*) has plagued the brand IMHO, which might be addressed by the re-organisation of the UK effort.
H

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 19/01/2022 at 10:34 »
I stepped away from their Orvis Endorsed Guide programme when the Banchory store closed

I wonder what other endorsed guides will do in the current situation Hamish? - as I guess most, like yourself, joined the programme through friends that are/were working at one of the shops.

I do like Orvis gear, the Access is still my go to #7 rod and my current wading boots are the light Orvis ones.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 19/01/2022 at 21:19 »
To be honest I really don't know what the OEGs will do, but if speculating I'd expect that there might be a rethink of the OEG programme too whilst the UK side of Orvis is reorganised.

I have a soft spot for a great many pieces of Orvis kit and whilst there are more than a few rods from Sage, Mackenzie and others in the collection, the most prized rods are very probably my original Helios rods which remain world class even some 15 years  *smiley-shocking* from their launch.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 29/01/2022 at 19:22 »
Had a long conversation when the banchory store was closing and we speculated that this would be the final result, though I don't think we were talking about so many and it happening so rapidly.
I feel sorry for all the staff, but one glimmer of hope is that the banchory store has now been reinvented as a country store with several previous staff still there

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com