Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Expensive lesson!
« on: 21/12/2021 at 08:22 »
Yesterday I was on our local syndicate water. Only 16 acres but averaging 40' and crystal clear. A syndicate committee member and very experienced angler cast out his fly, put his rod down and attended a call of nature in a nearby bush....... you have guessed? Myself and 2 other members were out in boats but could not find his rod. A £700 lesson.
I'm sure we have all 'put our rod down' while doing something else. I certainly have, so how could I criticise him?

James Laraway

Re: Expensive lesson!
« Reply #1 on: 21/12/2021 at 09:45 »
ooooooooooops

I almost had a very similar problem at Glen of Rothes trout fishery. I cast out a dry fly, wandered along the bank to speak to a fellow fisher heard a noise that was my screaming reel - my fly had been taken by a lovely ( about 4lb) brownie. Luckily the rod didnt quite make it into the water....

Back in my teenage days when we were deadbait fishing for pike (before we could afford electronic bite indicators) we did loose one rod and had to cast over a couple of others when we forgot to open the bail arm and tuck the line into a rubber band ......

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 02/01/2022 at 10:43 »
Easily done, and happens quite often.

Customers dropped all sorts of things over the side of the boats at Haddo, but I managed to find most of them over the following days in the clear water. The most common one was nets, but I remember recovering a wedding ring for somebody  *smiley-shocking*  and a camera for a couple that had just toured Europe and headed back to the States ...... took it apart and after a few days in the airing cupboard, I was able to send them the memory card  :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 02/01/2022 at 20:59 »
Nets.... reminds me of a true story when I lost my Dads prized Hardy landing net on Loch Shiel in 1987.

One evening, having come to the end of a very successful drift across Acharacle or 'Home' bay, I fired up the outboard and was a wee bit too keen to kick the boat around and head back upwind in order to do the drift again. As I turned and straightened the boat up I saw something silver flashing in the water 'ooohhhh.... a net' I thought. It wasn't until about 5 seconds later the sharp and cold realisation that it had been Dads net hit me. Somehow it had gone overboard in my turn  *smiley-shocking* and as I looked into the loch with horror the net slipped from sight and disappeared into the depths as if the Lady of the Lake were taking Excalibur to a watery grave.

To be fair, Dad was less than volcanic about it - mostly as I had a brace of nice Sea Trout and a Grilse for the kitchen.

Cut to 1988. I started working for the Sea Fish Industry Authority and it just so happened that there was a diver or two amongst them and they dived the Loch for me. They didn't find Dads net  :(
However, they did find a Hardy Perfect 'Taupo' (it was knackered, but had probably been at the bottom of the loch for 30  years even then) the remains of a Hardy rod the reel was still attached to, at least three tobys, a pair of rowlocks, a flybox and a walnut pipe. But no net. Dad claimed rights over all the 'salvage' and demanded compensation for the net. He still has the  net I bought him to this day and, I think, the pipe went to a neighbour when they lived in France.
Anyone who has been out with me in a boat will know that I am always very, very careful about where my net is.... that was my expensive lesson  :!

H

Alex Russell

« Reply #4 on: 03/01/2022 at 19:10 »
Happened to me when I worked in Dubai I used to fish in the mangroves up  in Umm Al Quwain I was trawling rapalas over the sides I caught a nice hamour while playing it my other for shot out of the holder a cobia had slammed into the floating rapala I just saw the rod take off below the surface, after landing my fish I put on my biggest trawling lure an trawler back and forth for two hours in the hope I could hook the line, lost my cracking  trawling rod and my Abu multiplier , it was one of a matching pair. Never replaced that for or reel, still have the other one in my fishing shed.

Alex

Graham Nicol

« Reply #5 on: 04/01/2022 at 08:00 »
I still chuckle on episode where Paul Young loses his rod overboard with a king salmon on the other end

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 04/01/2022 at 10:39 »
I wonder how many of us have thrown a drogue or anchor out without securing it? Only one anchor for me, many years ago  :X2

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com