Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Red Loch??
« on: 16/02/2008 at 19:01 »
Hi I remember years ago i was a member of Fraserburgh Angling clud and you could fish the red loch is it still on the go if so what it like, is it wild browies, rainbows??

Dave

Jim Eddie

Re: Red Loch??
« Reply #1 on: 16/02/2008 at 19:15 »
Not sure Dave , Ive never heard  anyone talk about it. Henry and Andrew who are on this forum are members of the Broch angling club so maybe they know.

:z18

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 16/02/2008 at 19:25 »
Well it was when i was a kid so its years ago i'm talking about and if i remember it was quite overgrown then so perhaps its not open anymore.

Dave

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #3 on: 16/02/2008 at 23:09 »
The Fraserburgh Angling Club have not had the fishing on the Red Loch since 1985. The owner did stock the loch a couple of years after that for his own use. At one time it did have a population of brown trout, but the inlet burn was diverted, bypassing the loch in the 1970's when the forestry plantation was planted and they died out in the early 1980's. It is now fishless.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #4 on: 17/02/2008 at 00:55 »
G Ritchie, 1985 that shows how long ago it is since i was there and as i said it was quite overgrown at that time.

I noticed on the satalite image that there are a couple of small lochs/ponds nearer memsie on the broch/strichen road on your left going to strichen you know anything about them?

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 17/02/2008 at 11:18 »
Dave

There is a wee loch in Strichen country park , It has  brown Trout and I also think its stocked , there is a boat , but I'm pretty sure its reerved for residents of Strichen.

:z18

Jim

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #6 on: 17/02/2008 at 12:35 »
G Ritchie, 1985 that shows how long ago it is since i was there and as i said it was quite overgrown at that time.

I noticed on the satalite image that there are a couple of small lochs/ponds nearer memsie on the broch/strichen road on your left going to strichen you know anything about them?

Dave

They were built by the owner of the nearby house for his own use.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #7 on: 17/02/2008 at 16:02 »
Jim,

My parents still stay in strichen and i left there 8 years ago so i guess i could pose as a resident :wink

Would that be the old Rynde block plant beside the old railway line your talking about :?

Will have to do some ground work on this one.

Dave

« Reply #8 on: 18/02/2008 at 09:57 »

hi dave your right there has been no fish in it  since the dates you mentioned.
    It is my local walk round Memsie woods  and the red loch for the last 20 years.
    The lochs fishing platforms  just stumps left all overy grown Beutiful wee loch a hidden gem,just a pitty about the fishing.

Henry :z18

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 18/02/2008 at 15:12 »
Dave

Not sure mate its a Country Park now , aye it is next to the railway line. It has a bonnie new boat house. There is a sign up (or there was) telling you about the fishing.

Cheers

Jim   

Dave Mundie

« Reply #10 on: 18/02/2008 at 16:59 »
Jim I spoke to my parents last night and they're going to try and find out about it will post back when i know anything for defo.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: 18/02/2008 at 19:38 »

I think you can get a permit for it at the butcher shop in Strichen plenty wee browns.

Henry   :z18

Dave Mundie

« Reply #12 on: 18/02/2008 at 21:11 »
That be Bert Fowlis butcher (Hebbie to the locals)  :z16

Dave

James Wark

« Reply #13 on: 24/10/2017 at 20:41 »
Hi i was wondering if you guys knew any Rivers near Fraserburgh except the waters of philorth, already fished there and looking for somewhere else.

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #14 on: 24/10/2017 at 21:51 »
The next nearest river is the Ugie.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com