Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rod Query
« on: 14/12/2021 at 09:39 »
My hunt for the perfect sea trout rod continues…

This week’s find was this Daiwa Whisker #8-10 but in a single handed version with no butt extension. Also with rings rather than snake eyes.

I gave it a few casts in the garden and it’s VERY heavy in the hand, a proper tree trunk. It’s just crying out for a lower handle to make it into a short double-hander or switch rod.

Anyone know what type of fishing it would have originally been built for? Boat fishing for sea trout or grilse perhaps?

Mike Barrio

Re: Rod Query
« Reply #1 on: 14/12/2021 at 17:25 »
Hi Andrew

Maybe a tad heavy in the 10' 6" length for a #8-10 line, but I really like the Daiwa Whiskers  :z16

I think this one was more of a Sea Trout and Grilse rod back in the day, but it was not unusual to find folk fishing for Rainbows with them too. The lighter line versions were usually the choice for Brownies.

Converting a rod from single hander to double hander doesn't usually live up to expectations in my experience ..... but hey, it's your rod, give it a go  >)

Enjoy!
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 14/12/2021 at 23:10 »
I was trying to remember how their letters worked this evening, it's all your fault  *smiley-grin*

From memory, I think WF was whisker fly and CF was carbon fly?

I've still got a 12ft Whisker #7/9, it's a really sweet little double hander! ...... I suspect a few forum members will have a Daiwa up their sleeves.
I also have a 15 footer - does anybody know what the "A" in "15A" stands for?

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 15/12/2021 at 21:20 »
I recall the WF and CF range of rods, my old trolling rods (bought some 30+ seasons ago now  *smiley-shocking* ) were Daiwa CF9812B, the 'B' range in CF98 were specifically ringed and tweaked for trolling and harling in mind, but I have no idea what the 'A' was for on the WF range. Magnus might know.
From memory, I think WF was whisker fly and CF was carbon fly?
So yes, exactly that and....
I also have a 15 footer - does anybody know what the "A" in "15A" stands for?
Nope, but I would be intrigued to find out  :z16 I might speculate it was an early reference to 'Amorphous' which was, I'm pretty sure, the successor to WF.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 15/12/2021 at 22:03 »
I think 98 was the percentage of carbon in the cloth used to make the blank, if I remember correctly?

Amorphous sounds like a good shout for the A Hamish, hadn't thought of that as they usually included amorphus in the model name.

Interesting stuff ..... must fish the 12 footer this year  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com