Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Full frame reels?
« on: 12/12/2021 at 10:53 »
I am considering a buying full frame reel. Looking at the Guideline Halo 6/7. The total reel weight is not important but a light large arbor spool  and smooth drag is required.
Some resistance on the forward wind is also required. Any ideas?

Andrew Parker

Re: Full frame reels?
« Reply #1 on: 12/12/2021 at 17:55 »
Not quite sure what is meant by: “Some resistance on the forward wind is also required.”

For a full frame I would not look past Danielsson the F3W or L5W: designed and manufactured in Sweden; excellent customer service

https://danielsson-flyreels.se/en/shop

I have the predecessor of the L5W, dating from something like 2006, and impossible to distinguish from new

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 13/12/2021 at 09:47 »
Thank you for pointing me to Danielsson Andrew. I looked back at some recent postings on here about them  and it would seem that they are well respected.
The design and engineering appeals to my precision engineering background. I'll buy one and hope that I escape being clobbered with import duty  :X2
Re your query about 'resistance on the forward wind'?  The reel will be used on my d/h wafting rod where the line is often on the reel during the cast. I only retrieve  a couple of yards at most, if any at all. The reels I have been using for the past 4 years are cheapo Chinese which run forwards freely and momentum during casting tends to pick up slack line.  This slack can form lose loops on the spool. I bought the 4 cheap reels with spare spools to hold the lines being tested (about a dozen with lots of cutting and splicing) for wafting. The reels will be given to the junior section of our club to get them started and some of the lines will be used in the garden  *smiley-grin*
My s/h reels are Lamson Liquids and they are a sorry sight with most of the coating worn off. They are also prone to getting leader trapped behind the spool - hence going back to full frame design.

Andrew Parker

« Reply #3 on: 14/12/2021 at 00:00 »
Gotcha Terry. My recent experience with Danielsson is they are very prompt at responding to email enquiries. They may even be able to advise what import tax will be due.
I think they are remarkable value for money. Someone I used to know used them on the coast for Mullet fishing; for a period, he made a point of not rinsing the reel after fishing and said no adverse effects!

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 14/12/2021 at 09:25 »
I ordered a Danielsson at 17.00 yesterday and received a tracking number early this morning. 
I used to have a lot of dealings with precision engineered parts from Sweden - always perfect....and I drove a Saab before the US owners tried to build them cheaper. Splendid car.
So, looking forward to getting my hands on this reel.

Andrew Parker

« Reply #5 on: 14/12/2021 at 11:44 »
I hope you will be delighted with it Terry. If you wouldn’t mind, it would be interesting to know the total cost once it comes through

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 14/12/2021 at 15:23 »
Just paid DHL the duty so price breakdown is -
Reel  F3W 4seven   141.94
Spare spool                   67.23
Shipping                          16.98
                                s/t     226.15
]mport duty                  56.23
Total cost                 £282.38
Expecting delivery on Thursday!

Terry Coging

« Reply #7 on: 15/12/2021 at 14:40 »
Fly reel delivered 43 hours after ordering! Bloody fast reindeer from Sweden!
Faultless engineering. Fishing jewellery.

Andrew Parker

« Reply #8 on: 16/12/2021 at 13:34 »
Sounds like you are pleased with it Terry  *smiley-yippee*

PS interesting to see the breakdown of import duty and VAT.
On your subtotal £226.15, UK VAT @20% is £45.23, so the remaining £11 may be either/both DHL handling fee/ import duty
In any case, not very much at all. Quite encouraging!

Dave Felce

« Reply #9 on: 18/12/2021 at 11:11 »
Fly reel delivered 43 hours after ordering! Bloody fast reindeer from Sweden!
Faultless engineering. Fishing jewellery.
I think they use Mike’s reindeer

Terry Coging

« Reply #10 on: 19/12/2021 at 10:50 »
Although I'm delighted with the Danielsson reel I'm just kicking myself for not taking a closer look at the Barrio reel.
I looked at them a while back and thought they were small arbour but in fact there is a med arbour spool as well. They have a full frame which is what I was looking for.
They look quiet classy in green.
May sell the Lamsons and buy one when the wife isn't looking.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com