Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

spiros

spinning for salmon
« on: 14/02/2008 at 22:31 »
Never spun for salmon so thought i would give it a go. Any tips on technique i could get would be appreciated.

paul...

JIMBOB

Re: spinning for salmon
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2008 at 14:27 »
spiros

The golden rule when spinning is to let the bait swing round almost to the "dangle" before retrieving. A fish will often follow the bait around and take just as it starts to slow down. All the time I see people cast and then start the retrieve immediately. Obviously using the correct weight of spinner is important to have it fishing properly. This can be a bit hit and miss and once you've lost a few expensive spinners you will tend to get it right. I tend to use Rapals a lot. They are a superb bait, expensive but effective. If using them you have to use the Rapala knot to have them fish properly. There's usually a little leaflet with the Rapala showing hoe to tie the knot.
A rod of about 10' is adequate and any good fixed spool reel. I use an ABU multiplier which I feel keeps you more in touch with the fish. Takes a while to get the hang of casting with one but once mastered it's like riding a bike.
Hope this helps you go out and enjoy he days when you have to spin.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #2 on: 15/02/2008 at 17:29 »
Well,

I didn't know this technique either until today!!

I caught my first ever Salmon on the Don at Kintore, a beautiful silver kelt of around 15lb, absolutely fin perfect!!:z4.....lost another before that as well.... :cry

I was using a countdown,(sinking) Rapala, silver and black.......I was casting square and letting the rapala sink and drift round with the river before retrieving it against the river flow.  really effective!! :z16

I'm still shaking now with adrenaline, and the fish was caught at 2.00pm!!!

Remember only one treble hook allowed this year per lure.

Good to meet Goolanger there as well!!

Cheers,

Skidd

spiros

« Reply #3 on: 15/02/2008 at 21:02 »
Cheers guys will give it a go. What colour of rapala were you using/recomend?

Paul...

sightbob

« Reply #4 on: 15/02/2008 at 21:06 »
hi all
i caught a 13lb springer from the deveron on tuesday using the method jimbob described but using a flying c.
cheers
brian

snakefly

« Reply #5 on: 28/02/2008 at 19:37 »
Was just on the deveron today spinning. Got quite a lot of interest on a gold and black 2 1/2 inch countdown rapala. Hope this is some help,

craig

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com