Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Long trout rod
« on: 07/12/2021 at 07:45 »
The 15' CTS blank that is intended for the Mk2 'Wafter' has arrived and looks interesting.
It's very slender with the thick end only being 11.5mm dia. It is also lighter than the Harrison that I've been using.
My first impression, following comparative curve tests, is that it is not as beefy or tippy as I would like, but I will reserve judgment until the rod is finished and tested.
Fortunately I'm in a syndicate that keeps boats out during Winter and the lake rarely freezes over - so testing should start in Jan. 

Hamish Young

Re: Long trout rod
« Reply #1 on: 07/12/2021 at 08:31 »
How many sections is it Terry :?

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 07/12/2021 at 16:48 »
Hamish - it's still 3 sections, which for a boat rod has advantages. 
By removing the butt section it is easy to 'service' the leader and flies on the top 10' without  having the weight of a reel clanging about.

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2022 at 09:17 »
Well ,I tested the new 15 foot 'wafting ' rod yesterday and was pleasantly surprised.  Mid Winter in a boat, 2degC, 40' crystal clear water. Not stocked for a while.
Other members using the mandatary sinking lines of varying sink rates. I didn't think I had a chance of catching anything on the floater, but hey, I'm just checking the rod out with various line weights and profiles. The rod is more through action than the current model. Pleasingly smooth but  just as powerful, which was surprising bearing in mind that the thick end of the blank is only 11.5mm compared with 17mm on the Harrison. I tried 6 lines ranging from 3 to 5 weight, all set up with my usual two fly reservoir rig which has a dropper at 5' and a heavy point fly a further 10' below.   
All the lines worked to a certain degree but the 3 weight Smallstream was the best.  I actually caught 5 averaging over 3lb and lost 2, so the fish playing properties were tested too - no problem.  A Dogs nobbler on the point of a 15' leader, using a 3 weight line is not the usual thing to do but the 15' rod made it easy and the heavy fly landed quite neatly. Once settled on the smallstream #3, I changed to nymphs for the final 2 fish. My four mates that were there did not do very well.  2, 1, nil, nil. Oh! I had the warmest hands too. No handling wet lines for me  :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 22/01/2022 at 12:16 »
Great stuff Terry, always fun to experiment  :)

Cheers
Mike

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 24/08/2022 at 16:22 »
Hamish - a 4 pc 15' #3-4 weight is in the pipeline and I'm considering a 5pc.
Sandy - pm'd you last wk.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 25/08/2022 at 20:40 »
Hamish - a 4 pc 15' #3-4 weight is in the pipeline and I'm considering a 5pc.
Intriguing  >)

Terry Coging

« Reply #7 on: 27/09/2022 at 21:41 »
The rod being built is a 12' 4 piece #4 Loch rod with a 5th  2'6" section that can be added for dapping or wafting. I'm calling it 'The Loch System'.
Can't wait to try it...

Terry Coging

« Reply #8 on: 08/11/2022 at 11:49 »
Well, the 'Loch System' rod worked. As a 12' trout switch with a # 4 line it was quite easy and pleasant as a single hander. This old chap used it for a few hours without tiring.
When the extension was fitted to make it a 14'6" 'wafter' it was fine with a #3 line, although I think it will be better with a #2 weight. Certainly be a nice light dapping rod. Bit more testing needed.  Anyway, I'll introduce it at the BFFI show to see what people think.
I'm developing a special guide design so that the extension can be fitted without re ringing the line. Made a prototype some years back but making something that is strong and neat is taking time. 

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 08/11/2022 at 21:00 »
Still intriguing  >)

Terry Coging

« Reply #10 on: 20/03/2023 at 10:28 »
I used the 'Loch system' 12' + 2'6" on Carsington Water from the boat on Sat. The rod is not intended for early season rainbows but I wanted to see what it was capable of in 'heavy duty' mode.
Started with the 4pc 12' and a #4 floater and single heavy lure on the point. Used double handed it really could put a lot of line out in the calm conditions. Caught a nice overwintered 3 pounder, then decided to add the 5th section to extend to 14'6".  This made the rod much slower but it would still cast a good way out without any effort. Adding the extra section took about 15 seconds and back fishing. Decided to change the leader set up for a team of buzzers , 6',6',8' = 20', with a tungsten head on the point. The long rod and wide loop made casting long leaders easy. Caught 5 more. All three flies worked 'on the lift'. Lost a couple due to double hook ups. Think I was the only rod out on opening day using a light  floating line. Some rods had double figure catches but some blanked, so even fishing the 'wrong way' caught a few. No cold hands stripping a wet line either  :)
Can't wait to use this rod for it's intended use when surface activity starts.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 20/03/2023 at 16:52 »
Its a fascinating concept Terry.
I don't really do large water fishing like that but i can see where this would be good a plan
And anything beats having to resort to sinking lines and the punishing routine of casting them.
I look forward to hearing more as the season progresses :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com