Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ivor Duffus

Bluefin tuna U.K.
« on: 23/11/2021 at 19:05 »
I was following the bluefin tuna fishing project down south.

Fairly impressive catches. Amazing to think the tuna have reappeared in great numbers just as the Salmon disappear in great numbers. Wonder if the tuna eat smolts  :z8 :z8.

James Laraway

Re: Bluefin tuna U.K.
« Reply #1 on: 23/11/2021 at 20:11 »
I do fancy that....would be amazing

I've only caught small tuna before which were outgunned by the tackle i was using - apart from one of about 30lb that was foul hooked - that gave a REALLY hard fight  *smiley-lol*

Andy Grant

« Reply #2 on: 24/11/2021 at 11:03 »
I was on one the Outer Hebridean islands late season trout/sea trout fishing 2014 and it was common knowledge then that there were tuna in numbers off the Western Isles . Some interesting stories from the locals.

Graham Nicol

« Reply #3 on: 24/11/2021 at 16:27 »
Friend of mine just last week had a day for them out of Looe in Cornwall. 4 in the boat who draw lots and he was number 1 and had a fish within 15min! Turns out to be 7ft and about 300lbs and took 45min of hell to bring it in. The first run took out 400m of line (different colours on spool at 100m increments).  No fighting seat and so all done standing up with just a butt pad. The boat does everything in that it provides the tackle and then tags and measures the fish when alongside the boat before release. By the end of the day they all had  a fish with range 250-300lb. He is going again!

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #4 on: 24/11/2021 at 20:09 »
Certainly something i would like to have a couple days at.  Just hope the prices stay reasonable.

Big game fishing 🎣🎣🎣

Graham Nicol

« Reply #5 on: 25/11/2021 at 07:58 »
His boat charged £700 a trip.  You can have up to 6 anglers on it but obviously lower your chances of a fish if drawn last

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #6 on: 25/11/2021 at 21:15 »
His boat charged £700 a trip.  You can have up to 6 anglers on it but obviously lower your chances of a fish if drawn last

Seems fairly reasonably priced considering the price of fuel.

I think after 20 minutes holding on to a 300lb Tuna I would perhaps be happy enough to hand the rod over to the next fella.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com