Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

The 20/80 thing?
« on: 14/02/2008 at 15:58 »
Don't know if any of you have ever been on "Sales Courses"? .......... If you have, I'm sure you will have been told that 20% of your customers will produce 80% of your sales :z17

Believe it or not, I would suggest that the 20/80 rule can also apply on a stillwater fishery .......... as I think that about 20% of my customers catch about 80% of the fish recorded in the catch returns :wink

I've been watching this for years now and can't help thinking that there must be a way of making things more even .......... say 40/60 :z7

Would you like to try to come up with some basic tips?

Best wishes
Mike

PS: I would also suggest that the same 20/80 thing pretty much applies to all species of fish on our rivers and wild lochs too.

Jim Eddie

Re: The 20/80 thing?
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2008 at 19:21 »
Mike

If I knew the answer , I would write a book and retire  :z4

Its called the Pareto principle by the way.

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 15/02/2008 at 00:09 »

Its called the Pareto principle by the way.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I was trying to remember that and failed miserably :z7

It would be nice if this thread could be a sort of "small stillwater tips" idea :z17

One I could put some thought in to perhaps :roll

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 15/02/2008 at 01:43 »
................... or there again, maybe I should write the book? :z4

Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 15/02/2008 at 08:17 »
Ok here's my starter for 10

Sit down to fish in a boat , don't stamp your feet , don’t wear a bright orange jacket, to quote Walton "study to be quiet" 

Find the fish, depth , location , look for inlets outlets , structure , weed-beds etc

Persistence , keep at it, you wont catch if your fly is not in the water.

Change , don't persevere with a method that is not working

Give them what they want , match the hatch , if they want lures pulled fast or slow or drifted buzzers what ever.

Learn from your experience, certain flies and methods are always better at certain times of year. 

Learn from other anglers , what do the ones that catch all the fish do differently.

Read , your local librarary will have books on fly fishing, read the Fly fishing mags (some are better than others)   

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 16/02/2008 at 08:58 »

Persistence , keep at it, you wont catch if your fly is not in the water.

This is the main reason :z16 All the guys i know who catch lots of fish, normally fish lots.

I know i can quadruple my catch rate by not drinking so much tea :z4

But i like tea :roll

Sandy

goosander

« Reply #6 on: 28/02/2008 at 19:47 »
Have been thinking about people i know who always seem to catch fish. They do not appear to do any thing diffrent from the rest of us and yet they seen to miss nothing that is going on round them. Over the years i have come to the conclusion that they have something in there genes strange as that may sound, same as a good opera singer or others who are at the top of there profesion. What do others think?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 28/02/2008 at 20:15 »
This sort of stuff is talked about a lot on the Carp forums. One thing seems to be very common though..and thats the huge difference between the instant angler who walks into the local shop, kits himself out and turns up on the water expecting to catch...and the angler who started off catching sticklebacks with a bandy net, watching the frogs and newts in the margins, understanding the activities of the water birds, starting off catching tiddlers, then hooking a bigger fish and deciding that thats what they want to catch and so they start to strive for bigger fish, different fish, fish from other waters, fish from rivers, streams, lakes, ponds, reservoirs etc.

There is no substitute for experience..simple as that, and fishing the same water day in day is not the way to gain that experience..folk have to challenege themselves if they want to be a good all round angler. Fish different methods, fish different waters, fish wild waters, fish stocked waters etc etc.

There is often a suggestion that some anglers have a sixth sense..well i firmly believe that. Far to many times I have caught fish almost "on a whim"..I get a feeling thats something is about to happen, I get an almost extra alertness that comes over me and I just know I will catch in the next minute or so.

Anyone else get that feeling??

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 28/02/2008 at 21:48 »
I think there are a few angles on this thread;

Firstly everyone with the right tuition, mentoring, perseverance & exposure can develop their abilities and become regular 'catchers' & competent anglers- The guidelines in Jedi's post, for example, are a good example of how to achieve this. However there are anglers that have this (I'm not going to say X Factor) inexplicable sixth sense (as stated by Rob) and I don't think that it is something that can be passed on.

There seems to be a trend (on stillwaters) in a growing quantity of anglers regularly reporting huge catches, say 12 to 30 fish per session, and although this obviously has a bearing on 'the percentages' I don't think it tells the whole story.

Spiderman touched, maybe lightheartedly, on the fact that to increase his catches he should stop drinking so much tea. I know that when I'm having a purple patch I will regularly go for a brew, see how friends are getting on, sit and take in the surroundings, change tactics, move locations,etc. etc.
I class myself in the 6 to 10 fish (typically) catagory as I'm not too interested in numbers & perhaps gauge my own enjoyment and goals differently from others. One of the reasons for not fishing competitions nowadays. I'm sure I'm not alone in this and this can possibly also affect collation of returns.

Every time I go fishing I KNOW that I will catch fish & this is not cockyness just supreme confidence in my tactics and experience. The day that my hands don't shake as I tie on my fly or that I don't expect to catch within the first dozen or so casts is the day I give it up & I've loved it for 35 years.

To summarise - Do I think I have the Sixth Sense - I once thought I might but when I assess, for example, my Salmon fishing ability I realise that I'm not a natural fisherman just the result of confidence through years of experience.

Tight Lines

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 29/02/2008 at 06:55 »
Very nice Iain :z16

Sandy

goosander

« Reply #10 on: 29/02/2008 at 16:34 »
There is definatly something, instinct possibly? One is throwing ones fly across the water mind elsewere. The casting geting quite ropey when one finds one straightens one back and the line goes out well. You feel the gental touch and swing the rod downstream while the reel starts clicking. When you lift the rod there she is hooked in the sissors.
 Have seen me sitting on the bank watching a guest fish, the water having that leaden look and knowing that nothing is going to come. The light changes and you lift your rod , move like the heron into the water and start putting out a line and before the whole line is out there is a fish on the end.
The same member in our syndicate year in year out catches over half the total catch whatever the conditions and yet he only fishes Saturdays and the odd Wednesday. Watching him he appears to do nothing diffrent from the rest. Why?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 29/02/2008 at 20:18 »
Falkus , wrote a bit about this in one of his books if I recall correctly , I'm sure Bruce Sandison touched on it as well.

Apart from doing all the right things, there is sometimes no logical explanation why one angler catches more than another. I read a theory once that suggested that some people have retained more of the instincs from our hunter gatherers roots. 

Jim

Gus

« Reply #12 on: 01/03/2008 at 22:07 »
Hi Folks,

As a relative newcomer to flyfishing, I thought you might like a viewpoint from one of the 80% who don't catch the majority of Mike's fish! As he is looking to improve the fishing experience of his clients, hopefully passing on my observations will be helpful...

Last week whilst fishing Midmar, there were about 5 or six guys rotating around the ponds, almost everyone was having a quiet time of it with only one or two fish having been caught. I say 'almost' as there was one angler who was well into double figures  :shock Naturally I went up for a closer look and ended up fishing opposite him. He seemed to being doing nothing obviously different to me - keeping low, both casting to a similar spot, a very slow retreive and using similar flies, except that he caught two fish and I didn't. So what was different? Certainly he had a longer leader and lighter set up than me, but he also seemed to be able to spot when to strike - maybe I need stronger glasses. I suspect he also new exactly what depth to set up his cast for and had a lot of feeling for those gentle takes which I never seem to spot  :cry

So a combination of factors - tackle and tackle set up, experience and a sixth sense on when a fish is nibbling your fly seem to be the difference between the 80% anglers and the 20%. More knowledge than can be passed on in the usual fishing log entry e.g. '14 fish to 12lbs, cats whisker'  :!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 01/03/2008 at 22:40 »
Hi Gus
Welcome to the forum :z16

Yes, I would very much agree with your comments.

You have hit on the main point of the original post. Trying to help somebody catch a few more fish is not as easy as you would think and simply offering advice like "try a Diawl Bach" doesn't always help much :z6

That's why I thought a kind of "small stillwater tips" type thread might prove useful? Especially tips from local anglers ....... As long as nobody expects it to produce instant success of course :z7

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 04/03/2008 at 07:00 »
Mr Livingstone and I discussed this on friday

Its not a sixth sense, its observation, once you learn what you are looking for you can spot takes
Prioblem how do you teach it without phisically being next the person and pointing it out.

I reckon this is the only way to do it, it certainly worked with daniel

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com