Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Hart

Corby Loch
« on: 18/11/2021 at 11:58 »
Does anyone have any current info on Corby Loch?

The last post I could find about it in here was from back in 2018 - just wondered if there had been any news/changes since.

Just seems like a waste of a good place if it has been abandoned. I wonder if there's anything left in it, or if the resident birds have totally cleared it out  :z8

Matt Hart

Re: Corby Loch
« Reply #1 on: 18/11/2021 at 13:18 »
Went for a walk at lunch time just for a nosey...looks fairly abandoned. Couldn't see any aquatic life - but it was quite windy with a fair ripple on the water so it would have been difficult to spot anything anyway.

Hamish Young

Matt Hart

« Reply #3 on: 18/11/2021 at 14:47 »
I worked on that section of the bypass while it was being built (driving tractors/dumpers/360's etc) and it really wouldn't surprise me that the pollution from that would have ran in to the loch. I worked one winter driving a tractor with a water bowser on the back just emptying flooded areas in to other ponds and the attitude towards the pollution/environment side of things was just non-existent. Unless the HSE man was literally watching them - no one gave a toss about what waste went where.

It also wouldn't surprise me that his caravan was broken in to and the "scientific findings" were stolen, as there were a LOT of dodgey characters working on that project that would have done anything to silence a potential threat to their wages.

It would be interesting to see if the loch could make a comeback now though with a small stocking, since the bypass construction work has settled.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 18/11/2021 at 22:03 »
I've driven past it numerous times since the bypass opened and never seen a soul fishing the loch

:z18

Jim

Kenny Smith

« Reply #5 on: 16/01/2022 at 20:23 »
Hi, Matt,  sorry to have taken a while to answer your query.    Anyway here goes, I was a member of the " Syndicate " which fished Corby Loch, I came out in 2010, but my friend continued until there were some disagreements about the running of it and it fell apart.     Any way, last year the Former secretary David Burrows ,   contacted my friend and asked him to have a look at the Loch.   My friend Rodger did this and reported it was quite a build up of weed but he caught a few small brownies.    Formerly , there were Rainbows of up to 16 pounds and Brownies up to 9 pounds.    It was stocked twice a year with Rainbows  up to 6 pounds   the Brownies being an original stocking  from years past.      Latterly the Wind surfing brigade have been using it , without permission as the gate is padlocked at the moment.   I don't know who the Owners are, but back then the loch was rented from the farmer who farms the land there.      I don't know David Burrow's  address, but I do know he lives in bridge of Don.       I just got his Phone number from Rodger ( I can pass it on via PM message if somebody needs it ) I believe he knows what's going on and is up to date on it.  It would be fine  if Fishing the fly Scotland Group could do something about it, what with Mike's past experience of running a fishery.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 16/01/2022 at 21:11 »
what with Mike's past experience of running a fishery.

Not something that I could/would get involved in again I'm afraid Kenny.

My old bones wouldn't cope  *smiley-funny*

Cheers
Mike

Dave Robb

« Reply #7 on: 16/01/2022 at 21:32 »
Surely it would be an ideal place for the ADAA as I think the Parkhill pond has been binned.

Matt Hart

« Reply #8 on: 17/01/2022 at 21:08 »
Kenny, Thanks for the information...it's always good to get the info from someone who was involved!

As Dave says, it might be something that another association could follow up on. I will bring it up with the ADAA committee anyway and see what reactions I get. You never know :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com