Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

New wader concept
« on: 13/11/2021 at 08:55 »
An interesting take on manufacturing waders - and very possibly the way forward - has been put on the market by these guys:
https://www.locwading.com/?fbclid=IwAR1j_-CH08ZCLZxTgP08TQCWreDM8wU0VVDPH3wBdHyBwTxf-Q41oM8v64w
They are just a smidgen pricey, but I think they're very possibly on to something  :z16

James Laraway

Re: New wader concept
« Reply #1 on: 13/11/2021 at 13:52 »
A smidgen pricey ? 😆

I like the concept but unless they had a lifetime guarantee ........well......

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 13/11/2021 at 14:55 »
They are pricey but if they last three times as long as others it could make sense. Be interesting to see feedback from anyone who is willing to spend this much on waders to see if they are worth it.

Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 16/11/2021 at 14:27 »
Interesting stuff, but yikes that's a price tag.

I wonder how much airflow is achievable within the waders.

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 16/11/2021 at 18:52 »
Here's a question. You see a lot of course and sea fishermen using VAAS waders.
Do they do stocking foot waders?
If so has anyone tried them?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 03/05/2022 at 10:27 »
Here's a question. You see a lot of course and sea fishermen using VAAS waders.
Do they do stocking foot waders?
If so has anyone tried them?

Its fashion. A famous carp angler (Terry Hearn) was given a pair of Vass from a council worker he knew and started to wear them. All of a sudden the became the in waders to wear.
Vass used to be industrial waders, they supplied councils, sewage plants nd fish farms. The first ones had steel toe caps.
They have recently released a breathable stocking foot, the Vass-tex 305. These are tough and designed for work/sea fishing, not game fishing. The stocking foot is a bit strange too, very bulky.
I have a pair of the normal ones for throwing on when clearing swims or carp fishing and need waders to put on to play fish in snaggy swims. They are tough, but that is all.

James Laraway

« Reply #7 on: 03/05/2022 at 12:57 »
These are tough and designed for work/sea fishing, not game fishing.

You have me intrigued ! what's the difference other than game fishing equipment has a cost premium and more snobbery factor ? ? *smiley-lol*

If they are tough and don't bloody leak every few months then i really wouldn't care if they don't have all the 'bells and whistles'  *smiley-lol*

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 03/05/2022 at 14:04 »
You have me intrigued ! what's the difference other than game fishing equipment has a cost premium and more snobbery factor ? ? *smiley-lol*

If they are tough and don't bloody leak every few months then i really wouldn't care if they don't have all the 'bells and whistles'  *smiley-lol*

They are heavy weight,  with big pads stuck on the knees/upper shins, making them uncomfortable to walk in. The cut is a bit crude as well, with a simple round top with draw string. The gravel guard is neoprene, so quite tight (to stop sand on the beach). The bright yellow 3" wide belt is a bit in your face too.  They only come in a small range of sizes so getting a good fit if you are of a challenging shape would be a real issue.

However, they are designed for clambering over rocks and barnacles, as well as keeping you warm and dry, so if you can live the more "industrial" look and feel, I can imagine they would last well on a river. The built in knee pads would be worth their weight in gold on the Don.

Cost wise they come in at £270.

As I say, Vass has its origins in industrial wear, so tend to make pretty robust stuff, but it is never pretty or comfortable.

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 03/05/2022 at 14:56 »
£270 is still quite a chunk of cash...... ( must be the x-Aberdonian coming out in me  *smiley-lol*)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com