Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Fly clips?
« on: 05/11/2021 at 10:36 »
I have not used fly clips to attach fly to leader. 

There seems to be a range of sizes available but the specifications are vague.  It may state 'up to a size 12 ' but surely this depends on the hook wire gauge?

I'm thinking of using one on a test rig to see how Daddies behave, but it got me to thinking that it would help changing flies with my arthritic fingers?
Any insights will be appreciated. 

James Laraway

Re: Fly clips?
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/2021 at 11:13 »
Hi Terry,

So, i have used them in the past a little bit.....

My thoughts:
They are more fidley than a fly to tie on ( as you have the whole fly to grip when tying the knot - you only have a wee clip to try and hold when tying it on)
They can be tough to thread the fly onto the clip and they can be tough to get the fly out of also...
They fly with 'move better' as the hook eye can 'swing' within the clip
The advantage of the clip is that your droppers stay the same length no matter how often you change fly

Maybe give a packet a go, but to be honest i think they will more hinder you than help you....

I did once hook and land a trout 'on the clip' instead of on the hook  *smiley-lol*
regards
James

Mike Cleaves

« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2022 at 00:24 »
I find them more of an inconvenience than attaching a fly properly to the leader. There may be no solution to your problem. perhaps ready made-up casts done in the home by someone else would help.  The clips are cumbersome and are a hindrance to fishing a dry fly. I can make up your leaders for you if you send me your flies and choice of leader material.

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 17/04/2022 at 22:21 »
I agree -the clips are too fiddly. The initial consideration was to use clips on a test rig where the dropper had to stay consistent.
I'll stick to tying flies on conventionally, albeit a bit slower.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com