Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

dazdidge

total fly fisher rod
« on: 13/02/2008 at 14:10 »
has ayone here tried one yet? I got one when they were on offer with subscription to the magazine. I had a greys grxi rod but had to give it up as it was giving me really bad tennis elbow, I now use the one from tff all the time. It's a 9'6" 7weight. The reason I ask is I have spent an awful lot of money trying to find lines that suit the rod well, 8's seem to load the rod too much, but 7's  don't get any distance and poor turnover. What I'm basically after is an intermediate and floater and wether or not I should use a tapered leader. I ask as this year I want to concentrate more on dries and therefore need to get better presentation.
can anyone help
cheers
darren

Brian Brand

Re: total fly fisher rod
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2008 at 14:28 »
Darren,

If you are near Mike's fishery at Haddo go along and have a try of his lines, good quality and reasonably priced.

You can try out the different weights and find out what suits your rod.

Regards,
Bri.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2008 at 16:41 »
Hi Darren

Yes, if you fancy coming over to the fishery sometime, I have all my lines on reels and spools so that you can try them out to see which suit you and your rod best.

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

PS: Thanks "Bri" :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2008 at 17:51 »
Darren

If you are looking for better presentation fo dries I would suggest you should look for a lighter rod , a 9ft 4# or 5# , this would also help your tennis elbow, lighter and less leverage.

:z18 

Jim

dazdidge

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2008 at 18:15 »
I will try and get to Haddo at some point soon, I stay in Balbeggie just outside Perth so not too far away, could also try and get some fishing in while I'm up :grin I do have another rod that is rated at 5-7, but it is very whippy and I struggle to cast with it. I am looking to get into the river fishing at some point so I always knew I would have to invest in lighter tackle, but until my casting improves there doesn't seem much point, unless of course a lighter rod would help out there as well. Cheers for the info guys.

daz

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com