Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Mill Of Newe - River Don Hatchery
« on: 02/11/2021 at 20:47 »
While we are on the subject of 'Back In The Day' ..... Who remembers visiting the Mill of Newe hatchery in Bellabeg?

The River Don bailiff team operated the hatchery, headed by Jim Kerr. An old meal mill, the hatchery came into operation in 1964 as a result of industrial pollution on the lower reaches of the Don affecting salmon stocks.

From what I can remember, the mill had three floors, the top floor held water feeder tanks for the egg troughs, which were located below. The bottom floor housed most of the rearing tanks, and there were also a couple of external rearing tanks, making about fourteen in total I think.

The egg troughs and rearing tanks were basically gravity fed by water from the Deochry Burn and there was a brood stock holding pen in the burn too, I can clearly remember the size of some of the fish in there!

Salmon, sea trout and brown trout were reared at the hatchery, and mainly stocked out to the Don and tributaries as yearlings and unfed fry. I believe all Mill of Newe fish were reared from native River Don brood stock and I can certainly remember seeing them being netted at the weir by the bailiff team. It was an awesome place to visit  >)

To give you an idea of the scale, in June 2001, Jim Kerr reported stocking out approximately 40,000 brown trout fry, 50,000 sea trout fry, 250,000 salmon fry and 200,000 yearling salmon parr!

Hamish Young

Re: Mill Of Newe - River Don Hatchery
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/2021 at 20:59 »
I was in there a few times 'back in the day' pics bring back some good memories.

I'm not so sure about the sourcing of some of the initial Brown trout broodstock - I believe they may came from another source - but certainly it was good craic to help out with the netting at Newe Weir for broodstock collection in the '90s, and by then it was certainly collecting broodstock from the Don  :z16

When we set up the River Don Trust I was all for the keeping of the hatchery, even if it was only as an educational tool.

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #2 on: 02/11/2021 at 23:48 »
Fascinating and I always regret not visiting, too busy trying to catch naturals lower down I guess.

Seeing those hefty numbers does make me wonder how successful it all was and also how the residents reacted to the arrival of the fry being released.

I can imagine some rapid growth in the nearby residents.

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #3 on: 03/11/2021 at 16:15 »
Hatcheries certainly make for interesting debate.

Some think they are the cure for every struggling river while others prefer the habitat improvement route.

Am probably the latter.

However trying to get cash for the habitat improvements on Cat 3 rivers like the Don is probably like pulling teeth. The Dee managed again to get cash to improve a burn. you have to give credit where credit is due the Dee board could get cash out of a street beggar.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com