Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ivor Duffus

Back in the day.
« on: 01/11/2021 at 11:54 »
Pleased I kept this clip from the green final. I just wish I remembered the year. It was mid 80s possibly 85/86 the water was dropping back from a big spate.

I remember it was to high for the bridge stream when I caught my fish. I walked down until I could get a cast just below the seat midway between the Don bridge and bridge stream. The water was still above the bank and on the path so it was fairly easy to land it.

Bert the council Bailiff come walking along and gave assistance.

Almost all that fish were taken on spinners or worm. Nobody could afford salmon fly fishing tackle back then. So when the water dropped back to good fly fishing levels the catches could of been much higher.  Plus a lot of fish went un reported.

Anyway it was great to have seen it and remember how it was back in the day  :z16

Ivor

Mike Barrio

Re: Back in the day.
« Reply #1 on: 01/11/2021 at 12:06 »
Great stuff Ivor  >)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 01/11/2021 at 12:43 »
That’s pretty cool Ivor , thanks for sharing.

85 was my first year on the Don. 86 my first at Inverurie. Seeing Fred and Duncan in the paper is amusing.
I can remember the amount of guys that used to be lined up along the rays early season. I also remember an old guy with a reliant robin that was always on the water and used to catch a lot of fish on Devons

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 01/11/2021 at 13:40 »
so Ian Dossett would have been John Dossett ('the butchers') dad ?

I used to love chatting to John about fishing in his shop when I lived in Kintore...

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #4 on: 01/11/2021 at 14:33 »
That’s pretty cool Ivor , thanks for sharing.

85 was my first year on the Don. 86 my first at Inverurie. Seeing Fred and Duncan in the paper is amusing.
I can remember the amount of guys that used to be lined up along the rays early season. I also remember an old guy with a reliant robin that was always on the water and used to catch a lot of fish on Devons

The old fella with the robin reliant was Asty Allan who along with Ian Dosset were masters at fishing the Devon at the correct speed and depth. Not as easy as a lot would believe.

Asty was probably the only lad that also used a multiplier reel.

I think they both worked shifts at Lawsons of dyce so they could fish a lot.

Ivor

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 01/11/2021 at 15:13 »
Cheers Ivor

Asty Allan, that’s the guy. I remember him well. I did have an inclination that his name was Asty but I wasn’t sure. I don’t specifically remember Ian but I’m sure I just spent a lot time in the vicinity of these guys when I was a kid. I was intrigued by anyone catching fish and wanted to know how it was done. Took me until 1988 to get my first springer. 3” black and white Devon on the 26th of March . It was 9lb and it tasted fantastic.  I’ll never forget taking it home.  *smiley-yippee*
How times have changed

Duncan McRae

« Reply #6 on: 01/11/2021 at 21:39 »
We're lucky to have these memories Ivor.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

Re: Back in the day. New
« Reply #7 on: 01/11/2021 at 22:04 »

Duncan

Very true Duncan  :z16
Cheers
Mike

Fred Hay

« Reply #8 on: 02/11/2021 at 06:27 »
Wow Ivor !!!
That newspaper clipping brings back the memories - you forget what we had back then.
I can't help regarding the year but I suspect that the angler in the Reliant Robin was Jock Tait from Aberdeen.  He used to fish quite regularly at Inverurie, especially in the springtime when the water was high.
But you're right Asty Allan was there and if he caught a fish he used to shout out so everyone within a couple hundred yards knew he was hooked up - good old days.  And .....Asty actually fished with an old Hardy Silex reel - which was similar to a multiplier as it was free running.
Ian Dosset was the complete opposite - you never heard him if he caught a fish just quietly going about his business - both him and Asty were masters of the devon minnow.
Thanks for the memory.

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #9 on: 02/11/2021 at 08:56 »

Duncan

It was an amazing few days Duncan. You could of caught a Salmon almost anywhere on the beat. The pools further up at Castle Forbes and Alford must of been stuffed with fish that year.

Ivor

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #10 on: 02/11/2021 at 09:12 »
Wow Ivor !!!
That newspaper clipping brings back the memories - you forget what we had back then.
I can't help regarding the year but I suspect that the angler in the Reliant Robin was Jock Tait from Aberdeen.  He used to fish quite regularly at Inverurie, especially in the springtime when the water was high.
But you're right Asty Allan was there and if he caught a fish he used to shout out so everyone within a couple hundred yards knew he was hooked up - good old days.  And .....Asty actually fished with an old Hardy Silex reel - which was similar to a multiplier as it was free running.
Ian Dosset was the complete opposite - you never heard him if he caught a fish just quietly going about his business - both him and Asty were masters of the devon minnow.
Thanks for the memory.

Great Days Fred.

I always thought it was Asty who had the Robin Reliant. He was a demon caster with that reel hitting 6" inside the far bank every cast.

I remember seeing Ian standing beside his car one day. I was still a school kid so it was late 70s. He shouted come over here and see this fish, He opened the boot and it was his 25lb Springer from the Blackpot. It must of filled the boot in that old car.

As it turned out Ian caught it in the Blackpot and landed it in the mill stream  *smiley-shocking* *smiley-shocking*.

Ivor

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 02/11/2021 at 09:41 »
More recent, but still goes back a few years  :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 02/11/2021 at 09:56 »
I can also remember when I used to do the Don reports for Trout & Salmon, I don't have any copies now - the magazines have long gone in clear outs  *smiley-unhappy*

Trying to get the catch info from river beat owners every month was 'somewhat challenging'  *smiley-lol*

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 02/11/2021 at 14:21 »
Found another one  >)

Anybody else got any clippings stashed away?

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #14 on: 02/11/2021 at 14:45 »
More recent, but still goes back a few years  :)

This photo must be 80s as well surely Mike.

I used to speak to the older chap back left with what looks like a deer stalker on. I used to see him in the bookies. He was a paper mill worker and mostly fished the mill water.

Do you know his name. was it Jim perhaps  :z8.

looking at it again. is it Bert the bailiff  :z8

Ivor

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com