Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

New fly tying scissors
« on: 25/10/2021 at 14:51 »
So, i think the time has come to get some new scissors for fly tying

any suggestions ?

Don't want to spend a fortune and probably after a couple of pairs - one with a fine point and also a more 'general' pair.

I should say that i also prefer them with slightly serrated blades as opposed to non-serrated....

suggestions welcome...

Hamish Young

Re: New fly tying scissors
« Reply #1 on: 25/10/2021 at 18:57 »
Have a look at Loon Ergo Razor scissors, I like them and some of the Anvil scissors too.
Alas my Loon gear appears to have gone walkabout at the last fly tying bash I attended - as in it has been nicked - and I've not replaced it yet. Lots of good options out there, if you see any Petitjean kit - just buy it  *smiley-wink*

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 25/10/2021 at 20:18 »
The black handled tungsten carbide scissors from Sportfish are about as good as you can get for sensible money.
Scissors are a personal obsession and these are my favourites at a reasonable cost.
 :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 26/10/2021 at 13:38 »
Hamish - someone made off with your scissors at a demo ???? Unreal.

Tell you what though, of you can afford Petitjean scissors I may have to join the Coast Guard  *smiley-tongue-out*

Some excellent suggestions...

« Reply #5 on: 27/10/2021 at 13:12 »
I used a pair of Dr Slick gold loop scissors and got years of good service out of them. Replaced them with a pair of Kopter scissors, these also seem really good but I have only had them a few months now. The handle is a little on the neat side for my ham fists.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 27/10/2021 at 16:37 »
Hamish - someone made off with your scissors at a demo ???? Unreal.
Yup - in fact they lifted a selection of Loon toys  I had only recently bought :(
Tell you what though, of you can afford Petitjean scissors I may have to join the Coast Guard  *smiley-tongue-out*
I buy carefully, infrequently and usually on eBay  *smiley-wink* That would be Coastguard in the UK  :z18

Magnus Angus

« Reply #7 on: 31/10/2021 at 18:16 »
FYI Renomed scissors are the same as Petitjean - I think they make for Marc - still not cheap but more available and better priced.

For what its worth black handled tungsten blades are good but if your tying gets a bit frantic....

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 31/10/2021 at 20:13 »
How did you manage that! *smiley-shocking*
Mine have never been any issues

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 31/10/2021 at 22:14 »
Fly tying 'hissy fit' ?

I've had plenty 😆

Magnus Angus

« Reply #10 on: 04/11/2021 at 13:41 »
How did you manage that! *smiley-shocking*
Mine have never been any issues

I know. Those had become my go to general scissors for some time, strong, sharp, clean cutting. I was cutting hair of some sort and the tip fell off. There was no drama or accident, just broke off.  Never had that before, those were my first carbide scissors, could they be brittle? I'd still recommend them.

Magnus

James Laraway

« Reply #11 on: 05/11/2021 at 11:17 »
so, i bought a couple of pairs of tungsten carbide scissors from the fly tying den:
4 " razor scissors ( serated blade) and with 'twiddly tension thingy)  - £14
3.5 " micro tip scissors - £8 ( which have a bigger tip than the razor ones ?!?!?)

looks nice and work well  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com