Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

First attempt at a brooch
« on: 02/11/2021 at 16:31 »
So, I had a first attempt at tying a brooch for a family friend.
Although its a trout pattern I had to 'upscale it' to get it onto a pin .
Is it has a bronze mallard wing I had to purchase some large feathers from Cookshill to give that a go for the first time. The wing came out neater than I was expecting !

Tying on a pin does give a few challenges.....

Eddie Sinclair

Re: First attempt at a brooch
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/2021 at 17:32 »
Well done James, I have tied many of these including orders for weddings. As you say it can be tricky, did you bend the pin away from the shank to allow you to run thread up the hook shank?

Eddie

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 02/11/2021 at 21:01 »
Top effort James  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 03/11/2021 at 10:16 »
I didn't bend the pin no, as I was fearful is would snap.

For running the thread I opened the pin then used the bobbin with 'no drop' so i could work my way along - knowing that it didnt have to be level due to dubbing going over it helped  :z16

Going back up with the dubbing on the thread was tricky so i used one finger to hold the last turn in place whilst I moved up with the next turn, and repeated. Seemed to work  *smiley-lol*

Well done James, I have tied many of these including orders for weddings. As you say it can be tricky, did you bend the pin away from the shank to allow you to run thread up the hook shank?

Eddie

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com