Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ivor Duffus

This is worth a watch only 6 minutes long.

The Dee are clearly taking river temperatures  seriously and carrying out a lot of tree planting not just on the main river but also on the River Gairn which i seen when i was running along the upper Gairn last year.

The Dee are a great money making machine and managed to get donations  out of the city and shire coooncils . The same shire coooncil that said it could not afford to keep on the fishing beats at Alford Rurie Kintore  :z8 :z8.

So i expect the Dee  will keep raising cash from somewhere and planting trees.

But what about the Don and other Cat 3 rivers that don't have any cash and little chance of getting any  :(. The Don has barely got a tree from Kintore to Cothal.

If the link doesn't work you can see the report on the fishdee FB page.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.channel4.com%2Fnews%2Fwarmer-temperatures-threatening-biodiversity-in-scotland

James Laraway

I'm with you on this Ivor

The Dee beats are generally owned by the 'well healed' and 'well off' so do they need public money ? I think the answer to that is a resounding no.

If the beat owners want to lower the temperature, improve the fishing and therefore increase the value of their asset they are more than capable of doing it themselves without public handouts.

Improving salmon fishing in the NE should not just be about the Dee - the so called 'lesser' rivers ( Don, Deveron, Ythan etc) should given at least a fair chance but probably don't have the lobbying resources to compete with the likes of the Dee....

Ivor Duffus

A few pics of the tree planting on the river Gairn. This is well up river.

A shame it doesn’t run a little deeper. It would make a nice trout stream. That said below bridge of Gairn looks good trout water.

Mike Barrio

Nice pics Ivor  :z16

Duncan McRae

What a lovely place.
I really need to get my hill walking boots back on again.

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com