Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Howard & Stuart

Down Lochter way last week there was some terrific sport to be had with many fish in the hard fighting 4-8lb category being caught or lost.

Many anglers spoke about being ‘broken’ by even bigger fish and there was a general air of anticipation with every cast, as a result.

Outside the bothy afterwards there was much merriment and rolling of eyes as the sad stories of loss were re-told with the fish getting bigger every time.

Indeed it reminded me of the poem from my youth which went:-
“Sometimes it was rusty hooks, sometimes the fragile lines and many times the treacherous reeds would foil my just designs but whether hooks or lines or reeds were actually to blame, I kept right on at losing, all the monsters just the same.  I never lost a little fish – yes I am free to say – it always was the bigger fish I caught that got away!”

I think we have all been in that position at some time and it’s that challenge that keeps us going.

With the consistent mild weather of late it continues to be the case that those willing to adapt and interpret what they see happening on the water are doing particularly well.

Word obviously got out that the fishing was good as we became progressively inundated with eager anglers as the week progressed.

Some anglers even reached the heady heights of landing over 20 fish and brothers Mike and Andrew McPherson both did so mainly sticking to a variety of cormorants.  Norman Fletcher used his own tied shimmer worms and Stuart Howie and Mike Skene used a wide variety of lures.
Albert Trail had 19 fish on a black WSW, Kathleen Shepherd fished fabs, buzzers and a hothead damsel to good effect landing 18 fish, Rob Wilson used either a cats whisker or bloodworm for his 15 fish and Colin Macdonald had 17 fish on a pearly cormorant.

Other returns were Bill Wood with 15 fish on an apps bloodworm or fab, Johnny Thackery had 12 on the WSW lure or cormorant, Ian Goodlet had 12 on a hothead damsel, Fred McCally had 10 on fabs, buzzers and cormorants and Graham Duthie had 10 on diawlbachs and buzzers.

So all in all some really good fishing so why not pop past and see what you are missing.

Tight Lines
SP
26/10/21

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com