Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Beauly - Last chance saloon 2021
« on: 16/10/2021 at 10:25 »
So at 'lastminute.com' I had the offer of a day on the Lower Beauly, which naturally I took up the offer of!

I was on the 'Home' beat  and.... well... it was a good day  *smiley-wink* My score at the end of the day was three Sea Trout, 2 Salmon and more Brownies than you could count on all your fingers and toes - including a couple of really decent ones. I lost a couple of fish, the last one at the end of the day was a very big fish that ran me ragged for five minutes and threw the hook, it had probably spent half that time in the air  *smiley-shocking* After running hard upstream towards me the line went slack  and I was gutted.... I suspect that my swearing could be heard in Cromarty  *smiley-wink*

The fish that made the day though, wasn't one that got away or the two Salmon I landed. It was one of the Sea Trout which I estimate at 6lbs, a hen fish it was as hard a fighting Sea Trout as I can remember and comfortably my biggest since my days  on Loch Shiel, some 30 years ago now. Alas I couldn't get my phone out quickly enough to take a picture after unhooking the fish, it had other ideas and managed to swim off before her photo shoot.  A shame, but a truly memorable fish. I was still shaking 6 casts later when another Sea Trout of 2lbs plus grabbed my fly and gave a super account of itself, I always forget just how truly hard fighting Sea Trout can be.
For me it was just the best way to end the Salmon season, I doubt if I'll be out again before months end. But there's always next season :z18

Orlando, one of the new Ghillies this season on the Lower Beauly, with my first fish of the day:

And the second:

Hell of a day  and, whilst fish were lost, it was just incredibly rewarding to fish in such a bonnie spot. Even with leaking waders and two wet feet  :)
The sum of all parts places it very firmly in my top five days , just super.

H

Mike Barrio

Re: Beauly - Last chance saloon 2021
« Reply #1 on: 16/10/2021 at 11:19 »
Awesome Hamish, that'll give you something to dream about over the winter months  >)

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 16/10/2021 at 18:20 »
H,

Sounds like a great way to sign off the 2021 season, well done.

I went out on the Dee yesterday for the final day but didn’t connect with anything.

Back to dreaming about next season and tying flies for me.

Eddie

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 16/10/2021 at 21:15 »
Gutted I didn't manage to join  you. Hopefully next year.

That second fish looks pretty solid :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com