Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Scottish Game Fair 2021
« on: 29/07/2021 at 21:52 »
I've been 'havering' about  going to this one.

The Scottish Fair is usually quite good craic - barring one or two damp squibs - and even from the 'trade' side which I have (on occasion) been fortunate to participate in, the Scottish Game Fair is always enjoyable. As he's getting much more into the idea of fishing and country sports I want to go for the chance of it being a fun event that the wee man will enjoy, I'd like to go in the hope of catching up with some folk myself, but somehow I'm just not sure I should be going.  I haven't consulted with she who must be obeyed (as yet) about attending the event as a family trip for the weekend.
Might be a little bit curious about the casting competitions too  *smiley-wink*

Anyway, my decision making aside, you can find out more about the 2021 Scottish Game Fair here: https://www.scottishfair.com/

Might see you there :? :!

H

James Laraway

Re: Scottish Game Fair 2021
« Reply #1 on: 29/07/2021 at 22:36 »
It's normally July isn't it?
Moved to the end of September for obvious reasons ?
I like the idea but you'd probably need a rain coat....

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 29/07/2021 at 23:49 »
To be fair ( see what I did there  *smiley-grin* ) ..... you frequently need a rain coat in July  *smiley-lol*

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 31/07/2021 at 10:23 »
It's normally July isn't it? 
Yup
Moved to the end of September for obvious reasons ?
Yup
I like the idea but you'd probably need a rain coat....
errrrr....... yup :? :!
To be fair ( see what I did there  *smiley-grin* ) ..... you frequently need a rain coat in July  *smiley-lol*
Ummmmmmmm .... yup  :z4

I've looked at the pricing and whilst it's not eye wateringly expensive, it's definitely priced at something of a premium. All the 'cool' parking has been grabbed already which means either get there early or be prepared for a gentle wander in the country before getting to the entrance gates.

« Reply #4 on: 22/09/2021 at 18:27 »
Providing I get back to dry land on Friday, I am planning to go to the Game Fair on Saturday.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 23/09/2021 at 06:54 »
Alas I'll not be going this time, too much on at home.

Hopefully the weather is OK......

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 27/09/2021 at 11:21 »
I saw this posted....

£7.50 for a cheese and ham roll ?????

Steven Kidd

« Reply #7 on: 27/09/2021 at 12:56 »
James,

I've been to  the game fair many times, mainly for shooting etc.  and that Cheese and Ham roll sums up the way i felt driving home in the car every time I've been.

Its a £150 day easy, just to get in and eat a cheese roll, and that's before you've considered shopping for anything.

Money better spent on a day on the Dee somewhere nice.

Steven

« Reply #8 on: 27/09/2021 at 18:24 »
The food was very expensive, but there were better deals than £7.50 for a ham and cheese roll. The Game Fair is not alone in the price stakes; Blair horse trails were very similar.

We had a great day without spending an excessive amount of money. I picked up a couple of books from the Coch-Y-Bonddu Books stand. My wee boy got to tie a fly which was entered into a competition, and he was talked through the process by a very patient young man. All materials were provided free of charge, and there was no entry fee for the competition. He also had a 20-minute casting lesson for the princely sum of £5.

Fisherman row was a little bit of a disappointment. There were not that many stalls, and those that were there seemed smaller than at previous events. This was not a surprise as I suspect many businesses are wary of committing to the expense after the last couple of years. It will be like tackle shops; if we don't make the most of the opportunity game fairs present, they will soon disappear.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 28/09/2021 at 00:28 »
Good to hear that you enjoyed your day Robert  :z16

I think the folk that help out with fly tying and casting demos and tuition do a grand job  :z14

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com