Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Halstead

Reel Upgrade
« on: 06/10/2021 at 22:22 »
First post on the forum, which I’ve loitered on since obtaining a rather nice rod off Mr Nelson earlier in the year.

I’m looking to upgrade a very battered but very useable Hardy Marquis Salmon 2.  I quite like the look/price of Danielssons but have no experience of them.

If any forum members have experience of Danielssons (or could suggest alternatives I might consider) I’d be grateful for any input.

The reel would be paired with a Shakespeare Oracle 14’ 9/10 and looks like a couple of models would work.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jim

Mike Barrio

Re: Reel Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/2021 at 23:10 »
Welcome to the forum Jim  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 07/10/2021 at 07:57 »
Don't currently own a Danielsson reel, but several have come my way and the quality has always been first class - I may have encouraged others to buy them!
I like the way they engineer their products.
I know a couple of fishing guides who have used and abused them, the reels are robust and reliable. So the fly reel version of a SAAB or Volvo  :X2

H

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 07/10/2021 at 09:32 »
HI Jim

I have a Danielson HD5 9-13 and its a lovely reel. I fish is on my Oracle  Scandi 13ft 9 with a rage compact head.

Isnt  the 9-13 a bit big i hear you say ? I really dont think so.

Now i went for the HD5 has that has the 'bigger drag'. Necessary ? Probably not - may be worth considering the HD3 which has a lighter drag

Have to say i do thoroughly recommend the reel .......

regards
James

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 07/10/2021 at 21:09 »
Hi,

I have had several of these and like the other comments I can’t fault the engineering or robustness. However and this is just me, I have replaced all of them with simpler reels that have a loud outgoing click when salmon fishing. I just could not get used to the lack of noise when a fish takes a swinging salmon fly, just did not work for me. If you are used to the singing of your old Hardy you may end up the same. The Danielsson reels are a fabulous piece of kit which I can’t fault and if they made them noisy I would use them again.

Eddie

Jim Halstead

« Reply #5 on: 08/10/2021 at 17:09 »
Thanks Gents for some very useful input which if nothing else confirmed the build and reliability question.

Mike - thanks for the welcome.
Hamish - neatly put. I’ve owned both of those at some stage, despite knowing there were more logical choices available. Sometimes you just want a thing.
James - I couldn’t find the HD3 on their website, unless I overlooked it, but had an eye on the 3W, which I felt was most like the Hardy without a click. Not sure I need/want a heavy drag.  From what you say, the 9-13 balances the Scandi Oracle well?
Eddie -  interesting noise comment as I’m a click fan too.  I could see myself going full circle, but in the meantime I do love a gadget. Out of curiosity what  other gear and pawl reels do you use?

Regards
Jim

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 09/10/2021 at 13:21 »
Jim,

For salmon fishing I have a pair of Hardy Bougle and on the wee switch rod I have a Hardy golden Prince.

All of the reels that I use for other stuff including trout are fancy drag jobs apart from one Abel TR which makes a lovely noise.

I have reels from various manufacturers including Abel, Nautilus, Lamson, Ross and Orvis but for salmon it is click Hardy that I use. I have used the fancy drag reels salmon fishing a couple of times now but the lack of noise just does not work for me. Have fun choosing a new reel and look at loads as a new salmon reel is a major investment.

Eddie

Magnus Angus

« Reply #7 on: 19/10/2021 at 21:00 »
I've used a couple of Danielssons and currently have a Danielsson made Loop reel - one of the LW series reels.  Brilliantly well designed and well made reel.

I regard Danielsson as a sort of sleeper/cult brand, if you know their reels you know how good they are, sort of an insider thing really. I believe they had their fingers burned a bit through working with Loop (the old company under previous management), selling volume and seeing their designs about to be made in Korea. Now they sell direct,  their prices are remarkable because their business model cuts out distributor and retailer profits.

Magnus

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #8 on: 19/10/2021 at 21:15 »
As Tina Turner said - Simply the best!”

Jim Halstead

« Reply #9 on: 22/10/2021 at 08:18 »
I think I should get one and thank you, I appreciate the input.

Jim

Tom Benson

« Reply #10 on: 04/11/2021 at 13:25 »
Hi ..
           I can only add to previous  posts : at present I.ve got the Nymph & W2.... but have ordered the L5W....
           Outstanding Reels at the price ( as iterated by Magnus )...     
          Just one small disclaimer : I hardly ever play the Fish from the Reel ...
                                                                                                                                                                    Tom

Tom Benson

« Reply #11 on: 05/11/2021 at 14:54 »

Folks ...... A Warning .......
                                                      Recently ordered  a Daniellson  Fly Reel .......Inport Duties Etc ........ make a less of ETC
                                                                                                      Any comment ?
                             Tom

Graham Nicol

« Reply #12 on: 06/11/2021 at 11:58 »
I recently purchased a Danielson and had to pay no extra charges and it arrived 24hrs from placing the order. Can't fault service or their reels.

Tom Benson

« Reply #13 on: 06/11/2021 at 13:17 »

Just paid DHL ..... £53 ,
                                                              Can you advise me how you managed to avoid " in port duties !?
                                                               Tom

James Laraway

« Reply #14 on: 06/11/2021 at 17:06 »
https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Maybe check you've been charged the correct amount?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com