Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

R&D with Sandy
« on: 01/09/2021 at 14:05 »
Good fun checking out Sandy's Tailwinds rods yesterday  >)

Sandy Nelson

Re: R&D with Sandy
« Reply #1 on: 19/09/2021 at 10:47 »
So we have been playing with these two new rods along a couple of other glass ones for a few outings now and a few people have had a go.
Its been very interesting.
They were built to play with, but i couldnt resist doing them properly as always *smiley-tongue-out*

So breif synopsis.
I have two Carbon blanks that are both 9’, one is a 3wt and one is a 4wt. both are super smooth and very agile on their line weight, up them a line weight so they become a 4 and a 5 and they get even smoother and more powerful. This is great as it means i can fish the dries on a lighter line weight and be able to do all the mends and wiggles and curves that i need as the slight instability makes this easier, but if its windy or i need to throw a nymph rig then the higher line weight stabilises the rod and gives it more oomph. Very clever Design from Mike McFarland. They are fast action actions rods to cast, but bend deep with a  fish, more akin to glass.

Getting on the river makes a big difference and even a few fish have been found

We even put them back to back with some of my favourite glass.

All that did was re-inforce my feelings for my 7'6" 3wt classic. This is the rod that has won my heart and will be my keeper. no mean feat after all these years but i just love what it does on the river. The 3wt Tailwind feels very similar to cast at times so comes a very close second and probably for anyone used to a longer rod, this would be the one they would prefer. I just like them Short *smiley-tongue-out*

One of the interesting comments was regarding the grips, i made these 6" long and for lightweight fly rods, i feel it is ideal. this seemed to be the consensus among anyone who casts with a thumb on top, if you hold it like a screwdriver then a 6.5" reversed half wells with the taper at the front seems to be better.
Either grip is shorter than an off the shelf rod but feels much better in your hand. (probably more what most of us are used too  :X2) These are the 3 styles i get asked for most, the bottom one in 5.5" is a personal favourite.

So i'm happy, i now finally have a Carbon option for folk who dont want glass,  :z8. one that i can reccomend and know will bring joy to peoples fishing, like the glass does for me. It will never be as robust or have that same feeling of life in your hand, but it comes closer than anything else i've tried and is much better than some other glass rods that are out there. The natural finish on the blank is the best quality i have seen, it is very lightly textured for maxium strength and minimum weight, just like the McFarland yellow glass rods. They are very reminiscent of the Scott rods from S4/G2 era regarding finish and quality. it would be nice if the big names could get back to those heydays of finish, but never mind i guess its a sign of the times and it keeps guys like Mike in business producing quality for the independent builders to build on.

The two rods as well as some of the glass will be around all winter if anyone fancies trying one then give me a shout. I cant promise a building slot as they are all booked for this year, but i can often find a space for an Adhoc.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 19/09/2021 at 11:29 »
These are superb, very nice indeed  >)

Great work Sandy  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 19/09/2021 at 17:37 »
3wts works a treat with the Nymph  :X2

Properly christened  >)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com