Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

BFFI British Fly Fair
« on: 06/08/2021 at 13:20 »
The BFFI is on again for Feb 12 - 13 at the County showground Stafford.
Our local club HQ is the nearest pub just a mile away - The Saracens Head.
I spoke to the manager last night and if any forum member wants to stay there please let me know and I will arrange a discount.

Hamish Young

Re: BFFI British Fly Fair
« Reply #1 on: 06/08/2021 at 17:34 »
Very decent of you Terry  :z16

Unconfirmed as yet, but as we start to realign workstreams in the pandemic,  I may yet be at the BFFI with my official work hat on. 
Could be entertaining....

H

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 11/08/2021 at 14:37 »
Yes, thanks for that Terry  :z16

I'd certainly like to visit the BFFI again, I really enjoyed it last time, but I'm not sure about making any travel plans yet  *smiley-unhappy*

Best wishes
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 21/08/2021 at 09:46 »
Should be a good one, given the dearth of shows over the past year or two and there's a lot of things/ tyers to see, including yours truly  *smiley-funny* *smiley-funny*

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 04/11/2021 at 10:36 »
Be nice to see you all there in Feb. You may be interested in a little contest that I'm putting on - The Daddy Challenge - the best Daddy to suit the 'wafting' method.  £100 first prize and the runner up gets a years subscription to FF&FT  magazine.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 06/11/2021 at 10:16 »
Prospect of an interesting challenge there Terry, be interesting to see what folk come up with  :z16

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 06/11/2021 at 13:55 »
Yes Hamish, it certainly will.
Quite a bit of interest shown already.  :z16
I've been playing around with a test rig this morning.  A low voltage fan blowing across water to simulate a daddy on a dropper. Judging will need some thinking about. My regular boat partner, Geoff and I will hatch up a check list to score against.

Those dapping flies that you tied a couple of years ago will be on display.
Not had a chance to fish with them yet - both trips to the Highlands have been just too calm.

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 10/12/2021 at 20:39 »
Alas the changes in Covid measures now in place South of Hadrian's wall mean that any hope of my doing this as a semi-works trip just went straight out of the window  :(

I sincerely hope the BFFI isn't cancelled due to the Omicron variant  ::(

Terry Coging

« Reply #8 on: 10/12/2021 at 21:20 »
It's such a shame that the very important Scottish contingent may not be able to attend - that is even if it goes ahead?
We shall just have to wait and see.

Terry Coging

« Reply #9 on: 22/01/2022 at 17:56 »
Well, it's definitely going ahead  :z18 Virtually a sell out regarding exhibitors. It will be a relief to see a bit of normality return.
Hope to see a few of you guys there. 
If you can't make it, please tie up a daddy and post it to me as an entry for the BFFI Daddy Challenge. There are some brilliant tiers on here  :z18

Terry Coging

« Reply #10 on: 07/02/2022 at 09:12 »
It's all go for the week end

:z16

My little wooden helpers show why a 15' rod can work the top of the water better than a 9'6" rod

James Laraway

« Reply #11 on: 07/02/2022 at 09:19 »
lovely set-up  :z16

Terry Coging

« Reply #12 on: 07/02/2022 at 09:47 »
Thanks James - it will be a little more refined for the show.
Some of your flies will be featured as will the selection of dapping flies tied by Hamish.
...oh - and a Barrio reel and line on a demo rod  >)

Still time for any forum member to send their entry for the Daddy Challenge....

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 07/02/2022 at 10:39 »
Great stuff Terry, hope you enjoy the weekend  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 14/02/2022 at 07:29 »
According to a couple of sources, Saturday was busy, Sunday less so - mind you I was also told the weather on Sunday wasn't great which may have put a dampener on things.
I'm looking forward to catching up with a few folk who I know attended BFFI for the first time this year, and some seasoned attendees, to get a feel for how it went.
Just glad it managed to take place :z16
I wonder who will win/won the Daddy challenge Terry set up :?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com