Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Hart

Re: Barbed, de-barbed or barbless ?
« Reply #15 on: 02/08/2021 at 14:36 »
I'm not sure why you're voicing your annoyance here Matt, nobody has suggested or implied anything of the sort in this topic.
The forum members are always pretty good at respecting each others views in my experience  :z16

Oh no I'm not directing my annoyance at anyone on here...I'm just saying that it's one of the things that I've came across previously when discussing this topic elsewhere. Some anglers do have very strong opinions on it and I was even told that I was "wrong" once for even having barbed flies in my box  :X1 .

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 05/10/2021 at 15:18 »
I don’t really see the same considerations given to salmon flies as I have for trout.

Indeed. I wont name names as its their business (as in they make money from fishing) but I saw a catch report of several nice salmon caught in very very low water conditions. It was a remarkable achievement.

There was a photo of the fly, a size 16 barbed silver treble with a few whisps of hair tied to it.

The report said that the lucky angler had already lost two identical flies to lost salmon before his last "lucky fly" did the business.

My concern is that a salmons jaws are like crocodiles, they are capable of crushing, but they have little available muscle to open the mouth. If those lost fish had the treble stitching their mouths together with 2 or more points, those fish are probably now dead. They "may" have been able to crush down on the treble and bend it enough to dislodge it, but I doubt that would be possible if hooked near the front of the mouth.

I see a combination of barbs and three points, especially on a fine tippet for summer conditions, a big no-no.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #17 on: 05/10/2021 at 20:05 »
Hello,

For me, I generally fish flies with barbs, never had an issue removing them neatly without causing any more damage than a barbless hook, very rarely are my fish hooked past the barb *smiley-funny*.

I must be honest, I don't really think about it, I do have some great barbless hooks as well of the grab gape style, and they work just as well at hooking fish.

Now given barbless hooks are likely to penetrate deeper, is that a factor if we are debating fish care?

Just being honest

Steven

Fridus Verwater

« Reply #18 on: 07/11/2021 at 21:09 »
Always barbless! :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 08/11/2021 at 13:58 »
Barbless or crushed barb for me (if a certain hook is not available in barbless).

I am at a time in my life where if a fish gets off, so what?  I don't bother with weighing, I don't bother with measuring, and I mostly don't bother with photos.

I measure fish  in the following way...Affa bonnie, offfft and niiiiice. That is all I need from my fishing now :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com