Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Going retro
« on: 13/11/2021 at 10:06 »
I recently signed up to a FishingTV subscription so I could revisit my youth by watching the old Hooked on Scotland series with Paul Young.

Presumably he was sponsored by Daiwa at the time, as he can usually be seen fishing a Whisker fly rod.

Amazing the prices these rods now go for online and on eBay. Up to £100 routinely, and some salmon rods for £150!

Why do they still have a following? Is it the build quality, the action, the Made in Scotland thistle graphic above the handle? 🧐

Mike Barrio

Re: Going retro
« Reply #1 on: 13/11/2021 at 13:50 »
They were good rods back in the day and still are Andrew.

I have a couple  :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 13/11/2021 at 14:25 »
I'd echo that, Daiwa made some lovely rods - the amorphous whisker range were super and well up with anything on the market when launched, so were most of the Alltmor range.
There was a time, maybe mid 90's to mid 00's, that Daiwa were making world class gear that was on par with anything else on the market. I don't know quite what happened, but they lost that momentum somehow  in more recent years :z8

Duncan McRae

« Reply #3 on: 13/11/2021 at 19:10 »
Still using a Daiwa cs 11ft from i think,the late 80's.
Fabulous rod for fishing the floating devon minnow and teamed up with a Mitchell 300 spinning reel it's a retro lovers dream :)

Duncan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 14/11/2021 at 11:05 »
Mitchell 300 that’s an ace spinning reel. Had one when I was younger and the 410.

Yellow belly minnow in spring. That was many years ago but great way to fish in high cold water.

Eddie

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #5 on: 14/11/2021 at 14:57 »
This is my vintage Daiwa spinner getting used harling on the mighty Tay at Cargill a few years ago. I upgraded my spinning reel to a Daiwa.

Great rod for casting the heavy metal required on the Tay  in early spring.

My old Abu Cardinal 755 is still in perfect condition. Just a tad small for the Tay.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #6 on: 14/11/2021 at 20:36 »
Yes Eddie,the yellow belly was a very popular colour for early Spring fishing but we seldom get the big,cold waters these days in which it fished best.

That looks like a big,intimidating water Ivor.
I've never tried Harling.How did you get on?

Duncan

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #7 on: 14/11/2021 at 22:05 »
Yes Eddie,the yellow belly was a very popular colour for early Spring fishing but we seldom get the big,cold waters these days in which it fished best.

That looks like a big,intimidating water Ivor.
I've never tried Harling.How did you get on?

Duncan

I was down with Kev. We got a big kelt harling. We paid for bank fishing but the Ghillie offered us the harling for no extra as we were the only 2 on the beat.

It was fine for a couple hours. the ghillies are superb boatmen and it was interesting seeing how they manoeuvre  the boat over the pools. I would not pay for a day harling. I like walking about the bank.

That was 5ft above and probably a tad on the high side for that beat.  I have fished Dunkeld at 10ft above and it was ok as it has steep banks,

I may have to splash out on some 20lb Maxima for a early trip down next year.

Ivor

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 20/11/2021 at 21:13 »
Jings somehow seems deeply inadequate to express my surprise at that sold for price  *smiley-shocking*

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com