Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Back in the day.
« Reply #15 on: 02/11/2021 at 16:25 »

Back left is Jim Simpson? ...... not sure, I'd have to check with Brian Brand, Jim was pals with his father.

Not sure about those at the back now, although it's Pete Dow and Logan Hadden on the right.

Left to right at the front are:   myself - ??? - Raymond Bisset - Stevie Cruickshank

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #16 on: 02/11/2021 at 16:54 »

Back left is Jim Simpson? ...... not sure, I'd have to check with Brian Brand, Jim was pals with his father.

Not sure about those at the back now, although it's Pete Dow and Logan Hadden on the right.

Left to right at the front are:   myself - ??? - Raymond Bisset - Stevie Cruickshank

Yes i thought it was Jim.

I used to get a update on the mill catches when i was in the bookies  :z16

Ivor

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 02/11/2021 at 18:25 »
I’ve got this one.
Looking at Daniel on the left I hazard a guess it’s possibly 2004/2003

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 02/11/2021 at 18:38 »
Yep, that'd be about right for David  >)

Duncan McRae

« Reply #19 on: 02/11/2021 at 19:37 »
I wish the permits were still this price :)

Duncan

James Laraway

« Reply #20 on: 02/11/2021 at 19:39 »
Amazing...

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #21 on: 02/11/2021 at 19:55 »
Cracking post Duncan.

A wish i had kept more stuff like that.  If the salmon fishing keeps going downwards it will be 50p again   *smiley-grin* *smiley-grin*

Ivor

Brian Brand

« Reply #22 on: 03/11/2021 at 17:14 »
Yes it is Jim Simpson, my father Bert Brand is in Sandy's  photo 2nd from the left, many would have known him from JJ Watson's shop.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #23 on: 06/11/2021 at 18:22 »
I can also remember when I used to do the Don reports for Trout & Salmon, I don't have any copies now - the magazines have long gone in clear outs  *smiley-unhappy*

Trying to get the catch info from river beat owners every month was 'somewhat challenging'  *smiley-lol*

Found one of your reports from 2004 Mike.
Kept this copy because of the exceptional salmon catches that year.
What i remember most about my October catches that year was that most of the fish were Silver and many were sealiced.
2004 is not that long ago so what has happened to the backend run :z8

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 06/11/2021 at 19:08 »
Nice one, thanks for sharing that Duncan  :z16

Cheers
Mike

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #25 on: 07/11/2021 at 15:12 »
Cracking Report.

Don and Deveron in great form. Its only 2010 that Scottish rivers had a record year since they started recording in 1952.

I guess the biggest mystery is the speed of the decline we are seeing now. but its happened before . Richard Waddington wrote about it in his book and it was the Autumn run that dissapeared. They did eventually come back. will they come back this time  :z8 :z8.

I guess another factor this time  is the decline had already started before the Autumn run disappeared  and the Rivers are not as healthy for catches to rebound  :( :(

Ivor

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com